Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I have some feedback?

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2013 5:19:12 AM

I shouldve posted here instead of at the motherboard section.

I am planning on building a "gaming" computer. I'm not a hardcore gamer and not picky about the setting, but would be nice to run games on medium/high setting for once.

Here are some of the parts that I am planning on getting:

- Intel core i7 3770k/intel core i5 2500k
- SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
- Corsair CX Series CX750 750 Watt ATX 12V Power Sup
- HIS H777F1G2M iCooler Radeon HD 7770 1024MB GDDR5
- Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
- ASRock Z77 Pro3 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard

games that I play are guild wars 2, nba 2k13, the sims 3, skyrim and dead space 3 in the future.

Also, do i need to buy some sort of cooler? I'm not going to overclock since I dont know what that is.

much appreciated! :p  :p  :p  :)  :) 

More about : feedback

January 8, 2013 5:49:15 AM

1. Since you do not plan to overclock, you do not need to buy a cpu with k in it. It just means it is overclockable. It would save you money to buy a non-k version cpu. I suggest getting a i5 3470, but if you have the budget i5 3570 will do. But not much of a performance difference of the two. I don't prefer i7 3770 because you won't need the hyperthreading which is the main difference from i5 3570. Also .1ghz difference would not suffice the price you will pay for i7.

2. As my previous point, since you wont overclock, change your board to a h77 board. I suggest a asrock h77 pro4/mvp for you build.

3. 750w is too much for a single gpu build. 500w will do, but you can be more cautious and go 550/600w. cx series of corsair is most likely on tier 3 of psu listings, I would go with different series like AX/TX, or maybe seasonic. check the S12II or M12II. Check this link http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/...

4. As you have saved money from my suggestions on 1-3, I would now suggest that you upgrade that gpu to match up with that cpu. a 7870 will do or much better, go with a 7950.

5. As of the cooler, since your not gonna overclock, you don't need a cooler. unless your some guy who really doesn't want a stock cooler in their non-overclock gaming build and gets an expensive cooler which is non-sense. :D 
m
l
January 8, 2013 6:08:17 AM

Hey,

Here are my 2 cents:

CPU = Look at the Intel 3570k or 3770k if you plan on doing media editing e.g. video etc (get the K, see comment below)
SSD = Sandisk are good in the camera storage market, not sure about SSDs. I'd recommend to look at the Intel 520, Samsung Pro 840 or Corsair GTX SSDs
PSU = A decent 550W would be more than enough. Look at Corsair, Seasonic or XFX.
GPU = See if you can get a 7850 at least.
RAM = 8GB is good enough
Motherboard = ASRock is good, anything from ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte will do as well.

I'd recommend to get an aftermarket CPU cooler. Overclocking these days are VERY easy, the software that comes with the motherboards does everything for you. It is better to include it when you build the pc than to take everything out again when you want to add a cooler. Cooler wise you can go two ways, air cooling or closed water cooling e.g. Corsair H80i
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 6:10:52 AM

grab an i5-3450, an H77/B75 motherboard, a quality 500-600w PSU from Antec, Corsair or Seasonic, and you should have some cash left to grab a better GPU.

use this;
pcpartpicker.com
m
l
January 9, 2013 12:24:59 AM

thanks a lot! I think i will consider upgrading that graphic card!
if I do overclock(if it is easy to set up like zander1983 said) what other options do I have?

just curious, so i am looking at radeon 7850 and i found
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N...

are they pretty much the same or the more pricey one the better?
m
l

Best solution

January 9, 2013 1:59:44 AM

youtalkiebox said:
thanks a lot! I think i will consider upgrading that graphic card!
if I do overclock(if it is easy to set up like zander1983 said) what other options do I have?

the good news; you wouldn't need to get an i7. an i5-3570K, and you're good to go. performs better than the 2500K that you eyed on to boot

the bad news; you'd need to spend a bit more on the motherboard and CPU cooler. the Asrock Z77 board you initially chose is okay-ish if you don't feel like spending more. any cheaper than that, and you're looking at smaller mATX boards, which is okay if the only PCIe/PCI device you want to install is a single GPU. much cheaper than that, and you're entering Z75 boards territory, and i can't guarantee the quality on that.

cooler-wise, stick with air. better bang for your buck. the cooler master Hyper 212 EVO is the current favourite in the market; the right performance at the right price, and more than enough for a modest user like yourself. only reason to go with a close loop cooler is if you're putting your parts in a case with little headroom for tall coolers (BTW: research on your cooler height, and the supported cooler height of your case of choice), or you just want it to look cool. plus they costs a bit more.
January 9, 2013 3:29:49 AM

Hazle said:
the good news; you wouldn't need to get an i7. an i5-3570K, and you're good to go. performs better than the 2500K that you eyed on to boot

the bad news; you'd need to spend a bit more on the motherboard and CPU cooler. the Asrock Z77 board you initially chose is okay-ish if you don't feel like spending more. any cheaper than that, and you're looking at smaller mATX boards, which is okay if the only PCIe/PCI device you want to install is a single GPU. much cheaper than that, and you're entering Z75 boards territory, and i can't guarantee the quality on that.

cooler-wise, stick with air. better bang for your buck. the cooler master Hyper 212 EVO is the current favourite in the market; the right performance at the right price, and more than enough for a modest user like yourself. only reason to go with a close loop cooler is if you're putting your parts in a case with little headroom for tall coolers (BTW: research on your cooler height, and the supported cooler height of your case of choice), or you just want it to look cool. plus they costs a bit more.

+1 to all above

With my Asus motherboard the ASUS AI Suite does all of my over clocking. Click of a button and the software does the rest.

m
l
January 9, 2013 4:47:18 AM

thank you for the help guys! i appreciate it!
m
l
January 9, 2013 4:47:38 AM

Best answer selected by youtalkiebox.
m
l
January 9, 2013 5:15:06 AM

Enjoy your new rig!
m
l
!