New build. No power at all.

brickson21

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello,

I have waited a long time before posting here about this issue because I read a lot of other posts where people are having similar issues and they keep getting sent to the no power checklist page. I have gone over that page so many times I can't tell you. Well anyway I ordered some new computer hardware to update my system a few weeks ago. After receiving everything I hooked it all up and attempt to power it on. Nothing happened. I figured I must have made some sort of mistake since I don't have an overly large amount of computer building exp. I checked everything over and made sure it was all hooked up correctly. I went over the no power guild located on this forum over and over. Tested the board on the box it came in outside the case. Slowly removed parts to see if that was the issue. Still nothing(no LEDs, beeps, fans). Basically the only thing I pulled over from my old pc is the power supply and graphics card. Power supply was working days before I pulled it all apart in preparation for the new parts. I did just purchase a new graphics card but have not placed it into the system yet.

I figured I just received a DOA board. I sent the mobo and cpu back to newegg to use their rma. They sent the new items back to me and I hooked everything up for a second time and it's the same issue. I don't really think its possible that they could have sent me two mobo's that are DOA. Then I started thinking well crap is it the power supply that was just working? I researched ways to check the psu and because I don't have a DMM(i believe its called) I used the paper clip test. It passes the test but the fan does not seem to spin strongly and it is not moving much air. This could be because of the paper clip test but I am unsure? My old mobo was a 4 pin connector and the new one is an 8. Could it be that the power supply is just not strong enough to run the new system? It's 650w so I would believe it should be able to handle it. Then again I did purchase it in 2009. I don't have a second psu to test it but I am going to run to fry's electronics tomorrow to pick up another.

I am also building this all on a wooden table and being very careful on how I am handling parts. Anyway here is the build:

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
SSD: Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-
Current Graphics card: EVGA 01G-P3-1281-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
PSU: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Graphics card waiting: EVGA SuperClocked+ 02G-P4-2684-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video

I would gladly provide any further information and am open to any ideas.

Also this is my first SOLO build. I have built my last 3 computers but I did have assistance from a friend who no longer lives near me. I am really hoping this is not something dumb I have done!!! :sweat:

Hi,
So you have 2 power supplies (the Antec and an old one)?
If yes, with any of them the CPU fan is not spinning when starting the board?
Try starting it with only CPU and CPU fan installed. Connect the 24 and the 4/8 pin power cables.
Remove all wires/connectors from the front panel connector.
Start the board by shorting with a screwdriver the 2 pins corresponding to the case power switch. Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

See if the CPU fan does spin.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
the power supply should be enough for that build and if i read correctly you had tried it without the gpu. whats the paperclip test?? never heard of that one all a paperclip will do that i know is start a psu as an override to an on switch. psu's die all the time i have had brand name ones die while still within the 1 year warranty i had on them and they always get the finger pointed at them first for my dead parts, motherboard 2nd and gpu third, as i have never had a problem with gskill ram i suggest it to everyone it always, just works.in the last 20 years i have probably replaced probably a dozen psu's, 2 or 3 motherboards, 2 gpus (all nvidia's) a couple of dvd drives and hdd's thats about it, never a cpu or ram, few things to check
did you hook up your cpu 12v line either 4 or 8 pin depending on the mobo
have you tried resetting your bios with the jumper
my moneys on the psu

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

the way i read it the psu was one of the few things he brought over from is old sys

brickson21

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I only have the Antec psu but I purchased it back in 2009. Nothing happens at all when I attempt to start the system. No power to anything. I am watching the video now.

I am thinking later today I will go down to frys electronics and purchase a new psu.

brickson21

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

The psu comes with the 4/8/24 pin connector. My old mobo use the 4 and the 24(not the 8) this one is using the 8 and 24. Ya they are all hooked up. Yup I did pull out the gpu thinking that could be a possible issue. Pretty much had the board down to the bare minimum.

I started reading possible ways to test to see if the psu was any good and saw the paperclip test. You are correct its just bypassing having everything plugged into it and going straight for the connection to the wall. If it turns on the psu is supposed to be atleast functioning. Which it did but seemed very weak. Part of me wonders if the psu was just going south slowly and the new system is just to much for it to handle. The paperclip test was also kind of fun. I just don't really have the overall knowledge to say something like that for sure.

brickson21

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

The board has a onboard power/reset button. I am not sure but I would think it would completely bypass the cases power switch. I did wonder about the case, thinking that when I was removing things I could have been to rough.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

the 8 pin cord your using isnt for the gpu is it or is it a 4+4 setup because i dont usually see them with a 4 and an 8 pin line 12v cpu line

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

just cos the psu fan goes too doesnt mean its working. if the mobo or psu (if its half decent) doesnt receive/output the right voltages with in the limits nothing should happen

brickson21

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Paperclip test is powering all of the fans with the LEDs right now.

I don't have an extra. I recently moved to a new city and don't really know people to well here. I am not sure but I wouldn't think that it would take an overly large amount of power to run the fans/LEDs using the paper clip test. The psu still seems very weak though the fans were working strong.

brickson21

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I am sure I can. I'll wouldn't buy one unless I was able to return it. If this is board #2 that just completely DOA with the exact same problem I would think that it would be the worst luck ever.