Canon and Tamron

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinCe

Hey guys. i would like to know how good is the Tamron lens next to the Canon
lens. do they have the same photo quality or is one better then the other.
am looking to get one of these but how well will the Tamron proform on my
Canon Rebel XT

Tamron 28-300 F3.5-5.6 DI XR
Canon 28-200 F3.5-5.6 USM

Vince

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:16:30 -0400, Vince wrote:

> Hey guys. i would like to know how good is the Tamron lens next to the
> Canon lens. do they have the same photo quality or is one better then the
> other. am looking to get one of these but how well will the Tamron proform
> on my Canon Rebel XT
>
> Tamron 28-300 F3.5-5.6 DI XR
> Canon 28-200 F3.5-5.6 USM

The Canon. However, I would avoid getting any lens, regardless of
manufacturer, with such an extreme zoom range. The image quality, in
general, is usually poor at the ends of the range and only acceptable in
the middle. Better to get two lenses. Yes, more money, but
you'll get better quality images.

My rule of thumb with zooms: To maintain optimum image quality never
get a lens with a range more than about 3X. Less is okay. Actually, it's
better. So, with a starting focal length of 28, the max should be around
85. Up to 105 would be okay, too, but no more.

So, in your case, I would get two lenses: a 28 to 85 or 105; and a 100 to
300.

Stefan

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I had the 28 - 300 with my 10D and was disappointed so I sold it. Lost out
badly. Now have some L series and non L series and wouldn't go back to non
canon lenses except for a few specific lens that seem to get rave reviews
(Tamron 90mm being one). But many will disagree

regards

Don

In article <hRKze.9584$is5.973100@news20.bellglobal.com>, Vince
<vcl@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hey guys. i would like to know how good is the Tamron lens next to the Canon
> lens. do they have the same photo quality or is one better then the other.
> am looking to get one of these but how well will the Tamron proform on my
> Canon Rebel XT

Oh, it's exactly the same. That's why the Tamron is cheaper. Canon is
just screwing you.

In article <pan.2005.07.09.17.05.25.986858@thisaddress.com>, stefan
patric <not@thisaddress.com> wrote:

> The Canon. However, I would avoid getting any lens, regardless of
> manufacturer, with such an extreme zoom range. The image quality, in
> general, is usually poor at the ends of the range and only acceptable in
> the middle. Better to get two lenses. Yes, more money, but
> you'll get better quality images.
>
> My rule of thumb with zooms: To maintain optimum image quality never
> get a lens with a range more than about 3X. Less is okay. Actually, it's
> better. So, with a starting focal length of 28, the max should be around
> 85. Up to 105 would be okay, too, but no more.

I have the canon 28-200 and have made 16x20s with it that look very
good. It's all in the technique, boys.

My advice is to stay away from the Tamron like the plague.
I have one and it has possibly the worst build quality of any lens I have
owned in over 45 yrs of photography. The warranty service is terrible
(particularly through their Canadian distributor) and the parent company
(Tamron Japan or Tamron USA) has no control over their distributors.
Stick with the Canon and you can't go wrong.
Bob

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 03:16:30 -0400, "Vince" <vcl@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Hey guys. i would like to know how good is the Tamron lens next to the Canon
>lens. do they have the same photo quality or is one better then the other.
>am looking to get one of these but how well will the Tamron proform on my
>Canon Rebel XT
>
>Tamron 28-300 F3.5-5.6 DI XR
>Canon 28-200 F3.5-5.6 USM

You are comparing a Yugo (Tamron) to a Lexus (Canon).

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.