QPS CD-R/W locks up WinXP tight at splash screen!

G

QPS 16x10x40x. When installed as Master on Secondary IDE, it locks WinXP tight at the black WinXP Pro opening screen. When I disconnect the CD-R/W, with no other changes, WinXP boots just fine. Turn off, reconnect, reboot and it locks up again--every time.

WinXP will boot to Safe Mode and ID the drive, but will not boot in any other diagnostic or normal mode. Firmware is up-to-date. The CD-R/W works fine under WinME on another drive.

This is the damnest thing I've ever seen. Where should I look? QPS is no help.

BIG Boy

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
tried updating the chipset drivers for the mother board? try different access modes. try it on another ide chanel. try in a different computer. come back when you have done all this.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

G

Thanks for your post and your suggestions. Although I didn't state so in my original post, I am no novice at this. Prior to posting the cry for HELP!, I d/l'd and installed the latest 4in1 VIA drivers. In addition, I tried every combo of Primary/Secondary, Master/Slave. I also tried the device under a different O/S on a different HD.

Hence my dilemna: the unit works fine under the C: drive w/ WinME and a standard configuration. But if I use the same hardware and same configuration but boot the D: drive w/ WinXP, the system locks at the opening screen--every time. If I disconnect the CD-R/W unit, it boots fine in WinXP.

Therefore, I am getting back to you. Any other suggestions? CMOS? Diagnostic program log?

Thx.

BIG Boy