Closed

Info on Nokia 6310i Firmware update version 7.00 and bluet..

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

I decided to collate what I have found on the web regarding the latest
6310i firmware in the hope it may help anyone else who is interested in
this:

Check the firmware version on the 6310i by typing *#0000# - The latest
version is 7.00

6310i (NPL-1)
----------------
Changes/improvements made from version 5.52 to version 5.60:

Improvement for the security relating to Bluetooth technology
- Update for Russian T9 dictionary
- Operator name list updated

----------------
Changes/improvements made from version 5.60 to version 7.00:

- Update of kJava implementation


If you have version 5.52 or lower you should take it to a Nokia service
centre to get it updated as there are bluetooth security issues on older
firmwares:

News article - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39145886,00.htm

Nokia statement - http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65909,00.html

List of vulnerable phones-
http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/120504OM.html

Further details on the vulnerability -
http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/260304.html

The problems are more than just bluejacking: hijacking of the phone inc.
remote dialing, address book access etc are all possible - these issues
were fixed in firmware 5.60.

Firmware updates are free if the phone is still under warranty, don't
let them charge you more than £10/$15 if it's out of warranty.

Even if you're not bothered about the security issue it's worth getting
the update as there were a number of BT functionality and general
stability improvements made in the 5.x firmware (with the exception of
5.52 which is reportedly less stable than 5.51 or 5.60).

You can find a service centre for your region in the support section of
the Nokia website:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,70,00.html

You can find details of changes made in previous versions of the 6310i
firmware here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040203022328/www.mwiacek.com/gsm/firmware/dct4_56.htm#6310i

Hope someone finds this useful.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
7 answers Last reply
More about info nokia 6310i firmware update version bluet
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Cheers dude, I'm running v5.51 at the moment, but looks like I may have to
    stump up a tenner to get it sorted.

    "drbob" <drbob@spamblock.gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:iv%Vd.4050751$f47.724172@news.easynews.com...
    > I decided to collate what I have found on the web regarding the latest
    > 6310i firmware in the hope it may help anyone else who is interested in
    > this:
    >
    > Check the firmware version on the 6310i by typing *#0000# - The latest
    > version is 7.00
    >
    > 6310i (NPL-1)
    > ----------------
    > Changes/improvements made from version 5.52 to version 5.60:
    >
    > Improvement for the security relating to Bluetooth technology
    > - Update for Russian T9 dictionary
    > - Operator name list updated
    >
    > ----------------
    > Changes/improvements made from version 5.60 to version 7.00:
    >
    > - Update of kJava implementation
    >
    >
    > If you have version 5.52 or lower you should take it to a Nokia service
    > centre to get it updated as there are bluetooth security issues on older
    > firmwares:
    >
    > News article - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39145886,00.htm
    >
    > Nokia statement - http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65909,00.html
    >
    > List of vulnerable phones-
    > http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/120504OM.html
    >
    > Further details on the vulnerability -
    > http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/260304.html
    >
    > The problems are more than just bluejacking: hijacking of the phone inc.
    > remote dialing, address book access etc are all possible - these issues
    > were fixed in firmware 5.60.
    >
    > Firmware updates are free if the phone is still under warranty, don't
    > let them charge you more than £10/$15 if it's out of warranty.
    >
    > Even if you're not bothered about the security issue it's worth getting
    > the update as there were a number of BT functionality and general
    > stability improvements made in the 5.x firmware (with the exception of
    > 5.52 which is reportedly less stable than 5.51 or 5.60).
    >
    > You can find a service centre for your region in the support section of
    > the Nokia website:
    >
    > http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,70,00.html
    >
    > You can find details of changes made in previous versions of the 6310i
    > firmware here:
    >
    >
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040203022328/www.mwiacek.com/gsm/firmware/dct4_56.htm#6310i
    >
    > Hope someone finds this useful.
    >
    > --
    > drbob
    >
    > OE Users - check this out!
    > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Dr G wrote:
    > Cheers dude, I'm running v5.51 at the moment, but looks like I may have to
    > stump up a tenner to get it sorted.
    >

    Glad the info helped someone. Independent shops tend to charge less for
    firmware upgrades (carphone warehouse wanted £30!!). There is a place
    that does updates via mail order for £8 inc postage but I've lost the
    link, does anyone know who they are? (I used a local shop that did the
    update whilst I waited).

    It could be worth a shot to call the Nokia careline (you have to
    register your phone with club Nokia on the website first to be able to
    use it) and complain that you shouldn't be charged for a security
    update. They may sort it out for free but it will probably involve
    sending the phone to them for a couple of days.

    The other alternative is of course to leave bluetooth switched off if
    you don't use it.

    --
    drbob

    OE Users - check this out!
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    "drbob" <drbob@spamblock.gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:lVOXd.4622289$f47.827658@news.easynews.com...
    > Dr G wrote:
    >> Cheers dude, I'm running v5.51 at the moment, but looks like I may have
    >> to
    >> stump up a tenner to get it sorted.
    >>
    >
    > Glad the info helped someone. Independent shops tend to charge less for
    > firmware upgrades (carphone warehouse wanted £30!!). There is a place that
    > does updates via mail order for £8 inc postage but I've lost the link,
    > does anyone know who they are? (I used a local shop that did the update
    > whilst I waited).

    We do firmware upgrades at that price (plus postage).

    --
    >>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
    >>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
    >>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
    >>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    drbob wrote:

    >
    > The other alternative is of course to leave bluetooth switched off if
    > you don't use it.
    >

    Tomshardware.com just published a big article on how to build an antenna
    for bluetooth hacking which works from up to a mile away:

    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article106.php

    They promise in part 2 of their exposé/instruction manual to publish
    previously unavailable bluetooth hacking software. Expect to see an
    increase in bluetooth based attacks over the next year.

    --
    drbob

    OE Users - check this out!
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    drbob wrote:
    > They promise in part 2 of their exposé/instruction manual to publish
    > previously unavailable bluetooth hacking software. Expect to see an
    > increase in bluetooth based attacks over the next year.

    After doing a little more searching I've found that the software is
    already available, tom's hardware will probably just point to it.

    There is even a j2me app that can be installed on compatible phones to
    perform the attacks (currently supports: read and insert phonebook
    entries, plant sms messages, bug the person by initiating a phone call,
    change call forward number) so attackers don't even need a laptop
    anymore! It's buggy and somewhat limited (currently will only initiate
    call or set call forwards to a single fixed number) as the writers
    intend it as a proof of concept and auditing tool for company security
    professionals but I can't see it being long before other make a stable
    flexible version available for illicit use.

    They held off from publishing it to give manufacturers the chance to fix
    their phone firmware. Nokia has now fixed the 6310i but is hardly
    shouting about it. There are a huge number of vulnerable phones out there.

    --
    drbob

    OE Users - check this out!
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
  6. drbob said:
    Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    I decided to collate what I have found on the web regarding the latest
    6310i firmware in the hope it may help anyone else who is interested in
    this:

    Check the firmware version on the 6310i by typing *#0000# - The latest
    version is 7.00

    6310i (NPL-1)
    ----------------
    Changes/improvements made from version 5.52 to version 5.60:

    Improvement for the security relating to Bluetooth technology
    - Update for Russian T9 dictionary
    - Operator name list updated

    ----------------
    Changes/improvements made from version 5.60 to version 7.00:

    - Update of kJava implementation


    If you have version 5.52 or lower you should take it to a Nokia service
    centre to get it updated as there are bluetooth security issues on older
    firmwares:

    News article - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39145886,00.htm

    Nokia statement - http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65909,00.html

    List of vulnerable phones-
    http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/120504OM.html

    Further details on the vulnerability -
    http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/260304.html

    The problems are more than just bluejacking: hijacking of the phone inc.
    remote dialing, address book access etc are all possible - these issues
    were fixed in firmware 5.60.

    Firmware updates are free if the phone is still under warranty, don't
    let them charge you more than £10/$15 if it's out of warranty.

    Even if you're not bothered about the security issue it's worth getting
    the update as there were a number of BT functionality and general
    stability improvements made in the 5.x firmware (with the exception of
    5.52 which is reportedly less stable than 5.51 or 5.60).

    You can find a service centre for your region in the support section of
    the Nokia website:

    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,70,00.html

    You can find details of changes made in previous versions of the 6310i
    firmware here:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20040203022328/www.mwiacek.com/gsm/firmware/dct4_56.htm#6310i

    Hope someone finds this useful.

    --
    drbob

    OE Users - check this out!
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/


    Thank you - really useful. Yes I know my 6310i is ancient, but it works well, battery lasts for ever and it makes phone calls and sends texts. What more does one want?
    Mine was version 5.22 from 2002 so upgrade a good idea!
    David
  7. This topic has been closed by Pyree
Ask a new question

Read More

Nokia Firmware