Closed

Info on Nokia 6310i Firmware update version 7.00 and bluet..

Last response: in Brands
Share
March 4, 2005 6:52:47 PM

I decided to collate what I have found on the web regarding the latest
6310i firmware in the hope it may help anyone else who is interested in
this:

Check the firmware version on the 6310i by typing *#0000# - The latest
version is 7.00

6310i (NPL-1)
----------------
Changes/improvements made from version 5.52 to version 5.60:

Improvement for the security relating to Bluetooth technology
- Update for Russian T9 dictionary
- Operator name list updated

----------------
Changes/improvements made from version 5.60 to version 7.00:

- Update of kJava implementation

If you have version 5.52 or lower you should take it to a Nokia service
centre to get it updated as there are bluetooth security issues on older
firmwares:

News article - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39145886,00.htm

Nokia statement - http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65909,00.html

List of vulnerable phones-
http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/1205...

Further details on the vulnerability -
http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/2603...

The problems are more than just bluejacking: hijacking of the phone inc.
remote dialing, address book access etc are all possible - these issues
were fixed in firmware 5.60.

Firmware updates are free if the phone is still under warranty, don't
let them charge you more than £10/$15 if it's out of warranty.

Even if you're not bothered about the security issue it's worth getting
the update as there were a number of BT functionality and general
stability improvements made in the 5.x firmware (with the exception of
5.52 which is reportedly less stable than 5.51 or 5.60).

You can find a service centre for your region in the support section of
the Nokia website:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,70,00.html

You can find details of changes made in previous versions of the 6310i
firmware here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040203022328/www.mwiacek.c...

Hope someone finds this useful.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
March 9, 2005 8:07:55 PM

Cheers dude, I'm running v5.51 at the moment, but looks like I may have to
stump up a tenner to get it sorted.

"drbob" <drbob@spamblock.gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
> I decided to collate what I have found on the web regarding the latest
> 6310i firmware in the hope it may help anyone else who is interested in
> this:
>
> Check the firmware version on the 6310i by typing *#0000# - The latest
> version is 7.00
>
> 6310i (NPL-1)
> ----------------
> Changes/improvements made from version 5.52 to version 5.60:
>
> Improvement for the security relating to Bluetooth technology
> - Update for Russian T9 dictionary
> - Operator name list updated
>
> ----------------
> Changes/improvements made from version 5.60 to version 7.00:
>
> - Update of kJava implementation
>

> If you have version 5.52 or lower you should take it to a Nokia service
> centre to get it updated as there are bluetooth security issues on older
> firmwares:
>
> News article - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39145886,00.htm
>
> Nokia statement - http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65909,00.html
>
> List of vulnerable phones-
> http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/1205...
>
> Further details on the vulnerability -
> http://www.integralis.de/media/press_releases/2004/2603...
>
> The problems are more than just bluejacking: hijacking of the phone inc.
> remote dialing, address book access etc are all possible - these issues
> were fixed in firmware 5.60.
>
> Firmware updates are free if the phone is still under warranty, don't
> let them charge you more than £10/$15 if it's out of warranty.
>
> Even if you're not bothered about the security issue it's worth getting
> the update as there were a number of BT functionality and general
> stability improvements made in the 5.x firmware (with the exception of
> 5.52 which is reportedly less stable than 5.51 or 5.60).
>
> You can find a service centre for your region in the support section of
> the Nokia website:
>
> http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,70,00.html
>
> You can find details of changes made in previous versions of the 6310i
> firmware here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040203022328/www.mwiacek.c...

> Hope someone finds this useful.
>
> --
> drbob
>
> OE Users - check this out!
March 10, 2005 6:11:13 AM

Dr G wrote:
> Cheers dude, I'm running v5.51 at the moment, but looks like I may have to
> stump up a tenner to get it sorted.

Glad the info helped someone. Independent shops tend to charge less for
firmware upgrades (carphone warehouse wanted £30!!). There is a place
that does updates via mail order for £8 inc postage but I've lost the
link, does anyone know who they are? (I used a local shop that did the
update whilst I waited).

It could be worth a shot to call the Nokia careline (you have to
register your phone with club Nokia on the website first to be able to
use it) and complain that you shouldn't be charged for a security
update. They may sort it out for free but it will probably involve
sending the phone to them for a couple of days.

The other alternative is of course to leave bluetooth switched off if
you don't use it.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
March 10, 2005 11:34:44 AM

> Dr G wrote:
>> Cheers dude, I'm running v5.51 at the moment, but looks like I may have
>> stump up a tenner to get it sorted.
>>

> Glad the info helped someone. Independent shops tend to charge less for
> firmware upgrades (carphone warehouse wanted £30!!). There is a place that
> does updates via mail order for £8 inc postage but I've lost the link,
> does anyone know who they are? (I used a local shop that did the update
> whilst I waited).

We do firmware upgrades at that price (plus postage).

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
March 10, 2005 6:31:33 PM

drbob wrote:

> The other alternative is of course to leave bluetooth switched off if
> you don't use it.

Tomshardware.com just published a big article on how to build an antenna
for bluetooth hacking which works from up to a mile away:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article106.php

They promise in part 2 of their exposé/instruction manual to publish
previously unavailable bluetooth hacking software. Expect to see an
increase in bluetooth based attacks over the next year.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
March 10, 2005 7:05:49 PM

drbob wrote:
> They promise in part 2 of their exposé/instruction manual to publish
> previously unavailable bluetooth hacking software. Expect to see an
> increase in bluetooth based attacks over the next year.

After doing a little more searching I've found that the software is
already available, tom's hardware will probably just point to it.

There is even a j2me app that can be installed on compatible phones to
perform the attacks (currently supports: read and insert phonebook
entries, plant sms messages, bug the person by initiating a phone call,
change call forward number) so attackers don't even need a laptop
anymore! It's buggy and somewhat limited (currently will only initiate
call or set call forwards to a single fixed number) as the writers
intend it as a proof of concept and auditing tool for company security
professionals but I can't see it being long before other make a stable
flexible version available for illicit use.

They held off from publishing it to give manufacturers the chance to fix
their phone firmware. Nokia has now fixed the 6310i but is hardly
shouting about it. There are a huge number of vulnerable phones out there.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
May 28, 2012 6:46:18 PM

drbob said:

[...]

List of vulnerable phones-
[...]

Thank you - really useful. Yes I know my 6310i is ancient, but it works well, battery lasts for ever and it makes phone calls and sends texts. What more does one want?
Mine was version 5.22 from 2002 so upgrade a good idea!
David
June 9, 2012 11:27:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
!