Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU related game crashes on brand new build.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2012 4:31:04 PM

Hello,

I've recently built a gaming PC, and I am having problems with my GPU (I think). It's an Nvidia GTX 660ti. I decided I would test to see how good this build was by playing Saints Row 3. It would work like a charm and then, out of the blue, the game would crash. It would always be a couple of minutes after the game itself started, and there were no symptoms before the crash itself, it was always a sudden failure. When I went to the Action Center in Windows 7 for each crash t said "Video Hardware Error" but doesn't give me much other information except for codes and error report .xml files. I've been trying everything from reducing graphics quality to the lowest setting, closing all running applications besides the game and steam, installing the newest drivers from Nvidia, and turning off virus scan during play; all to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with my card/computer?
November 24, 2012 9:02:36 PM

Are you using a good quailty power supply with a minimum of 450 watts?
Score
November 24, 2012 10:02:08 PM

I would check and see what speed your videocard fans are running at , i just found out that the nvidia drivers have the speed set to 20% default and after leaving a game or during a game ,the display driver would fail. now i run ntune and manually set the fan at 100% a bit noisy but livable
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2012 1:32:33 AM

Check your temperatures for the card. Also, what are your system specs including the power supply?
Score
November 25, 2012 10:37:32 AM

Full build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fWnt

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply

I just ran the game to crash and the hottest the video card got was 68 Celsius. I have the clock set to default which is gpu boost of 980 mhz and the Memory clock is at 6008 mhz. The fan is on auto and got to 37% duty. I have an option to do manual fan speed, should I up it?
Score

Best solution

November 25, 2012 2:10:24 PM

Yes, turn up the fan speed, try 50% if that doesn't work try 75%. Check PCIe connectors on video card to make sure they are in the locked position. My ASUS HD6850 never gets above 57c with fan set at 60% and that is after a couple hours of gaming.
November 25, 2012 5:32:59 PM

Wow, that completely solved it. Put my fan up to 50% and it works like a charm now. Thank you so much for the help!
Score
December 2, 2012 5:37:49 AM

Best answer selected by jessechisel126.
Score
!