What's a good setup for Logi-Wingman and 'copters ??

I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I can
fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN 'copters........I
crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as follows....

turn left/right---rudder (twist)
roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
power---slider control

EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and can
fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I get a
quick lesson in flying these here please??

V "fnugen" wrote:
> I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I
> can fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN
> 'copters........I crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as
> follows....
> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
> power---slider control
>
> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
> eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
> flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
> fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and
> can fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can
> I get a quick lesson in flying these here please??

Hint: The chopper controls are waaay more touchy than fixed wing.
It alluded me too until I stopped over-controlling it. Now I can fly like a
bat outta hell.
Here's a good tutorial. Happy reading!
http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bf1942/strategy/chopper/index.shtml
--
Borked

"V \"fnugen\"" wrote:

> I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I
> can fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN
> 'copters........I crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as
> follows....
>
> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
> power---slider control
>
> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
> eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
> flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
> fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and
> can fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I
> get a quick lesson in flying these here please??

Maybe don't try to do so much with the stick - leave rudder and power
controls to the WASD keys. That works for me with my cheap Saitek stick.
I don't know about "twist"ing - my Saitek stick doesn't do it, but it
doesn't sound too intuitive, if you're also trying to pitch.

higgy.

In article <FShAe.864$6e3.91771@news20.bellglobal.com>, "V \"fnugen\""
<fnugen@hotmail.com> writes
>I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I can
>fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN 'copters........I
>crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as follows....
>
>turn left/right---rudder (twist)
>roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
>pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
>power---slider control
>
>EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
>eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
>flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
>fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and can
>fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I get
>a quick lesson in flying these here please??

I get pretty much the same problem, as soon as I get off the ground it
starts to roll to the right until it's sideways/upside down and crashes.
Using a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick, calibrated normally in
Windows, no problem with any other games, just BF2.
--
Sean Black

Jez

Sean Black wrote:
> In article <FShAe.864$6e3.91771@news20.bellglobal.com>, "V \"fnugen\""
> <fnugen@hotmail.com> writes
>
>> I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I
>> can fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN
>> 'copters........I crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as
>> follows....
>>
>> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
>> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
>> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
>> power---slider control
>>
>> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
>> eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
>> flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
>> fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and
>> can fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I
>> get a quick lesson in flying these here please??

> I get pretty much the same problem, as soon as I get off the ground it
> starts to roll to the right until it's sideways/upside down and crashes.
> Using a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick, calibrated normally in
> Windows, no problem with any other games, just BF2.

Don't use the right/left on the stick to turn, as it causes the 'flaps'
(?) to move, and they stay moved, so you have to correct them by moving
your joystick in ever smaller left/right movements to get them
'centered' again.
Turn by using the 'rotate' on your stick, rather than the left/right.

And be gentle !! Choppers are pretty damn sensitive.

HTH

--
Jez, MBA.,
Country Dancing and Advanced Astrology, UBS.

'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
Howard Zinn

"V "fnugen"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I can fly
>the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN 'copters........I crash EVERY
>time !! I have my stick setup as follows....
>
> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
> power---slider control
>
> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
> eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in flames.
> I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to fly.....HOW?!?!? I
> don't get it. I have played many flight sims and can fly with decent
> enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I get a quick lesson in
> flying these here please??

Helicopters fly like a rock in space.

For every force you apply, you must COUNTERACT that force with equal
throttle over equal time or equivalent.

For example, to turn;

twist left %25 for .5 seconds

center stick

wait for turn to be complete (minus decelleration time, which will be .5
seconds at %25 to the right)

execute twist right at %25 for .5 seconds

You are NOT using slicing action to force the helo around like a plane. You
use forces to set motion and then counteract.

It takes a long time to get the hang of it, so be patient.

"Sparky Polastri" <jafiwam@MuNGEDyahoo.com> wrote in news:42d2aac9_1
@newspeer2.tds.net:

> Helicopters fly like a rock in space.

The best comparison I've heard was that it's like trying to balance on top
of a basketball. The trick, as others have pointed out, is to be very
gentle. Over correction is what kills you.

There was a great tutorial in the Dontcamp.com forums for the DCF choppers
that's still applicable to those in BF2. BF2 choppers are a lot easier and
forgiving, though. The throttle, for instance, stays set instead of
requiring pulsing. (I fly with the keyboard.) So if I let off the W key, I
get a very slow sinking. The S key is actually useful now, to reduce
throttle and allow one to sink faster.

In message <NK-dner2ScTs00_fRVnyhQ@pipex.net>, Jez
<iced_spear@NODAMNSPAMpipex.com> writes
>Sean Black wrote:
>> In article <FShAe.864$6e3.91771@news20.bellglobal.com>, "V
>>\"fnugen\"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> writes
>>
>>> I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I
>>>can fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN
>>>'copters........I crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as follows....
>>>
>>> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
>>> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
>>> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
>>> power---slider control
>>>
>>> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side
>>>and eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
>>>flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
>>>fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and
>>>can fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can
>>>I get a quick lesson in flying these here please??

>> I get pretty much the same problem, as soon as I get off the ground
>>it starts to roll to the right until it's sideways/upside down and
>>crashes. Using a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick, calibrated
>>normally in Windows, no problem with any other games, just BF2.
>
>Don't use the right/left on the stick to turn, as it causes the 'flaps'
>(?) to move, and they stay moved, so you have to correct them by moving
>your joystick in ever smaller left/right movements to get them
>'centered' again.
>Turn by using the 'rotate' on your stick, rather than the left/right.
>
>And be gentle !! Choppers are pretty damn sensitive.
>
>HTH

I know about using the rudders to turn, that's not the problem. Even
without any stick input, the chopper starts to roll to the right and in
the space of about 5 seconds it's at ninety degrees or more, so it
crashes.

I've tried mapping the rudder to keys, rather than the twist grip, but
it still does it.
--
Sean Black

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"V "fnugen"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I can fly
>the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN 'copters........I crash EVERY
>time !! I have my stick setup as follows....
>
> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
> power---slider control
>
> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
> eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in flames.
> I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to fly.....HOW?!?!? I
> don't get it. I have played many flight sims and can fly with decent
> enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I get a quick lesson in
> flying these here please??

Have you set up the joystick in the helicopter section and not just the
plane section?

Bryan wrote:
> "V "fnugen"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I can fly
>>the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN 'copters........I crash EVERY
>>time !! I have my stick setup as follows....
>>
>>turn left/right---rudder (twist)
>>roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
>>pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
>>power---slider control
>>
>>EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
>>eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in flames.
>>I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to fly.....HOW?!?!? I
>>don't get it. I have played many flight sims and can fly with decent
>>enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I get a quick lesson in
>>flying these here please??

> Have you set up the joystick in the helicopter section and not just the
> plane section?

Yes I did.

V "fnugen" wrote:

> I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I can
> fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN 'copters........I
> crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as follows....
>
> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
> power---slider control
>
> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
> eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
> flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
> fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and can
> fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I get a
> quick lesson in flying these here please??

Does the fact it is FF make a difference?? Should I plug in my Logi
extreme 3d Pro instead? I haven't had the chance to try any of these
excellent suggestions.....thanks a lot guys. Can't wait to give them a
*ahem* whirl later.

V "fnugen" wrote:
> V "fnugen" wrote:
>
>> I have tried setting up my Logi wingman force 3d in all BF games. I
>> can fly the planes with relative ease, but those DAMN
>> 'copters........I crash EVERY time !! I have my stick setup as
>> follows....
>>
>> turn left/right---rudder (twist)
>> roll left/right---move stick right or left (whatever axis it is)
>> pitch up/down---move stick back or forward
>> power---slider control
>>
>> EVERY time I get in a 'copter.....it start to wobble side to side and
>> eventually no matter what I do.........BOOM lying on the side in
>> flames. I have read where people say the 'copters are easy to
>> fly.....HOW?!?!? I don't get it. I have played many flight sims and
>> can fly with decent enough assurance, but these things elude me. Can I
>> get a quick lesson in flying these here please??

> Does the fact it is FF make a difference?? Should I plug in my Logi
> extreme 3d Pro instead? I haven't had the chance to try any of these
> excellent suggestions.....thanks a lot guys. Can't wait to give them a
> *ahem* whirl later.

I have the same problem with my CH F-16 USB Combat stick. I've setup
controls to steer left/right and collective up/down on the kb, and pitch
F/B and roll L/R on the joystick.

I've played other games before flying a copter with a joystick so I know
how the controls "should" react, but the symptoms I observe are that
the roll & pitch axes simply do not respond.

For example on single player I try flying the US copter on Clean Sweep,
I can keep increasing the collective so I start to rise, and can rotate
clockwise/c-clockwise with the kb steer keys. I slowly start to rise,
and then will eventually just tip to the left and crash. NO amount of
action on the joystick controls (moving the stick forward/back
left/right) has *ANY* effect. It's as if the controls aren't even set
yet they are in the Helicopter controls menu.

I've also tried my cheapo Saitek stick with the same results.

Guess I'll have to keep searching for an answer elsewhere...