Im having problems installing windows 7

Win7

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hello
I started installing my free dell upgrade to windows 7 software last night, it's 62% completed but now the screen is frozen, I installing on dell inspiron 1545, any suggestions

saran008

Distinguished
Are you upgrading from Vista??

Have you done this ???
To resolve this problem yourself, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer. Then, your computer will roll back to Windows Vista.
2. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
4. Under System variables, click New.
5. Type MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS in the Variable name field.
6. Type IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll in the Variable value field.
7. Click OK three times to close the dialog boxes.
8. Start the upgrade installation again.

Please do this and again restart the upgradation process.

Win7

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks again, I saw the above but the cursor is just going round & round as if trying!! I've unplugged but obviously battery is fully charged on laptop, it's not allowing me to do anything. Should I insert my vista disc & see what happens?

Win7

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks buddy, I can't believe I'm being such an idiot today!! I wasn't holding the power button long enough. It's rolled back to vista. I have to head off to work now, so I won't be able to attempt to install windows 7 until tomorrow. Can I ask, is it a good idea to complete the 62% tasks before I re-attempt or just try again?? I did everything the compatibility disc told me to do last time, so I thought I was all set!! I really appreciate all your help. Have a good day

Win7

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
An update!! The manual fix didn't work although this time the screen says please wait at 62% instead of transfering ex amount of total amount, it's been like this for 30mins so I guess it's safe to say the manual fix hasn't worked. Ok, next I will try 'fix it for me'

Win7

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Just had another thought, maybe I should try the custom install as opposed to the recommended install ie. The one that checks for the latest drivers, what do you think? Thanks

saran008

Distinguished
Hi Win 7! Sorry for late reply! was at weekend!
You can go for the clean install, before doing that Please Backup all your data to an External Drive.

Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media.
This will defenitely help you for doing a Clean Install using an upgrade media.
I did same for my studio 1450. But I didn'y got any problems during manual activation.
If you get any problems during activation, go for Method #2: registry hack method mentioned there, worked fine for my buddy's Studio 17.

Please use format option and wipe your HDD, in order to avoid or take over any errors in new install.
Waiting for your reply after trying clean install :)
All the best. :)

saran008

Distinguished
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation).

This also may help you, for custom installation.

Custom install mentioned here is doing installation without formatting HDD. Hope it wont help you.

For Doing a Clean install, you have to boot from the Upgrade DVD and install.

You can boot from a upgrade media, since both upgrade and full installation disks are same but the product keys only will vary.

For these clarifications, Check the Paul Thurrott's Supersite link, I mentioned in previous reply. It'll give you a step by step clean installation of Win 7 using upgrade media and Product activation.

Please do Format, to avoid errors, and Please do back up all your data before trying Clean install.

P.S: If you are doing a Clean Install, wiping HDD, get ready to install all applications once again. It may pain a bit, but you will get an error free system :)