Sign in with
Your question

My build, please help. WoW

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2013 2:48:00 PM

I built a computer a couple of years ago for the first time. Since then I've swapped a couple of parts. I swapped what I thought would make it possible to max WoW easy. Here is my build.

Resolution 1920x1080 I have two primary 22" led monitors and my TV is hooked up for watching movies.

MOBO : Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
CPU : AMD PHENOM II X4 965 BLACK EDITION
GPU : XFX ATI 6950 2GB
RAM : 2X2GB DDR2 800MHZ
PSU : OCZ 750W
HDD : 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200

Even with Diablo 3 I get serious frame drops.

Now don't get me wrong, I know I do not have a super computer by any means, but i also feel like I should be pulling better performance than I do. Right now I set WoW on ultra with vsync off. I am in SW with very few other people, it definitely isn't packed. I am only pulling about 30-35fps. What do you guys think is the issue? maybe because its slow ram? I haven't upgraded ram because ddr2 is expensive now and I'm working on a new build. I just need a new MOBO and CPU. Any advice would be appreciated.

More about : build wow

a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2013 2:50:40 PM

What's you total budget here?
m
l
January 8, 2013 2:56:04 PM

I already have a new build that I am working on. I plan on probably going i5-2500k. and bringing the psu/gpu from this build to the new one. Just waiting on it to work into my budget. Im just curious if there is something specific that is really hanging me up, such as the ram?
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 3:07:18 PM

oh yeah the i5 build will be with all new ram and that good stuff. I know its not the best of the best GPU but I would think it should have no problem crushing WoW
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:08:58 PM

It's also interesting that all of my meters with MSI show that even at low FPS times I still never hit over 85% usage of the card. and the ram never maxes out.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2013 3:12:15 PM

I stand corrected. Great FPS from the benchmark experts here at Tom's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gf114,2845-12.html

Have you run a benchtest on the GPU such as 3DMark or FurMark to see how it performs there. Thats is kind of bizarre because you should be getting better than that. Try turning the graphics settings all the way down to minimum and see what you FPS readings you get.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2013 3:13:21 PM

How are your temperatures?
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:22:13 PM

I have not ran a benchtest. I've never done that before. but when i set the settings all the way to minimum i get in between 60-120 fps but its up and down. I feel that at minimum it should be locked in at really high fps. the temperatures are usually between 50-60C on the GPU and about 40-55C on the CPU I think. But I am still using the garbage stock Fan. From the research I've done that isnt a great temperature, but not really anything to worry about either. I could be wrong though.
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:24:57 PM

The set up should be plenty for WoW and pull at least 50-60 fps.
How many add-ons do you have running?
Has it always given low fps? If not what happened / changed? Hardware.. Software etc. Little more info on how you got to this point.
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:28:00 PM

I am currently running about 6 or so addons, but this problem was there with 0 addons. I havent played WoW in about a year before this week. back then I was running a AMD 9650 x4 2.3ghz CPU and a HIS ATI 5670 1gb I think? There was one point That I could max wow at 60fps on ultra with vsync and never dip in the heaviest of effects or people. That was with the previous CPU/GPU but that was before WoW did a huge overhall on its graphics before Cataclysm I think.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2013 3:31:56 PM

I noticed that you have dual monitors. Try using only one monitor and see what you get on ultra.
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:33:18 PM

You need an SSD for Diablo 3 not to stutter when zoning into new levels.
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:35:29 PM

I tried that, I disabled/unplugged the other 2 monitors and still had the same issues with WoW/d3. yeah I heard that about d3, one person told me to buy a flash drive and install d3 to the flashdrive and run it from there, that did help but didnt solve it completely. d3 was pretty unplayable because it CONSTANTLY studdered. even if it was at 60fps it still studdered.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2013 4:00:10 PM

What video driver version are you running?

English nazi: stuttered
m
l
January 8, 2013 4:04:39 PM

I'm running an older driver version, I went back previously when playing D3 because all the new drivers made my issues worse, so i've been hesitant on upgrading the drivers. It's been a while now, so I guess i should go ahead and try.
m
l
January 8, 2013 4:06:51 PM

beauganster said:
I tried that, I disabled/unplugged the other 2 monitors and still had the same issues with WoW/d3. yeah I heard that about d3, one person told me to buy a flash drive and install d3 to the flashdrive and run it from there, that did help but didnt solve it completely. d3 was pretty unplayable because it CONSTANTLY studdered. even if it was at 60fps it still studdered.

Run a driver sweeper and make sure there aren't any pieces of the drivers from that other Vid card you ran before. Even with the changes they made you should be able to get 60 fps easily... I'm running an old athlon athlon 64 x2 (windsor) and a 9800gt and getting 40 fps constant (not on ultra of course) but def not on lowest settings.

I'd also try turning vsync off and see what changes if any that makes.
m
l
!