Sign in with
Your question

Switchable Graphics Not Working...? [AMD + AMD] HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2012 5:28:38 PM

Ok, so I have an HP ENVY dv6z-7200 Notebook PC that came with Windows 8 already installed. I've done A LOT of digging and came to the solution that the game is trying to use the weaker graphics card (7640g) instead of the more powerful one (7670m.) I've seen lots of people say to switch from dynamic mode to fixed mode, but the newest W8 bio's versions don't allow you to do this. This is VERY frustrating because i'm trying to play games like Minecraft, and I'm getting horrible FPS when I should be getting pretty good FPS as it isn't that intensive of a game.

HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC
A8-4500m APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUs) ~1.9GHz
Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)
AMD Radeon HD 7640G + 7670m Dual Graphics

Chip type says AMD Radeon HD 7640G.... which is the weaker card... I want the 7670m to work over that so I get better performace.

BIOS version: F.13

I just picked up SR3 from steam the other day as it was on sale for $10, and I put that baby on low settings with low resolution and I still get pretty bad FPS when i'm playing on Directx 11/10.. Maybe there is a program to show which graphics card is running so I know for a fact that the stronger one isn't running?

I can provide more info if need... Thanks!
November 24, 2012 6:37:57 PM

bump
January 18, 2013 6:49:02 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with my HP dv6t. I tried using the Catalyst Manager, but the settings wouldn't hold. At one point I went into the BIOS and switched the graphics to fixed, rather than dynamic, and then some games (like Skyrim) ran a LOT better. But, my computer would also randomly crash, blue screen, or the screen would look like the white snow on television, and I am forced to turn it off manually. From what I can tell, the two drivers that run the 2 different GPUs are not compatible, and interfere with each other. And I constantly check HPs website for driver updates, but its been 2 years, and they haven't updated the GPU drivers. I contacted HP Support and they were no help. I had to send my laptop in for repairs (thought the better GPU was in use and accidentally damaged my computer), and they just replaced the motherboard and CPU because they were melted together, and said nothing about the problems I described to them. I wish I had the answers, but after more than a year of looking for the answer, I have none.

HP dv6t Quad Edition
- Intel i7 2630QM (2.0 GHz - 2.9 GHz) [4 cores]
- 6 GB RAM
- 720 GB 7200 rpm HDD
- Radeon HD 6770M switchable graphics
- Windows 7 Home Premium (64 -bit)
!