Help flashing my 6850

jamiethemorris

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm trying to flash my Gigabyte HD 6850 to either a 6870 or a different 6850 so I can have voltage control. I already flashed the stock BIOS to fix the VESA resolutions, which was successful. I tried to flash one of these (the 3rd one down) to my card, but it didn't work and soft bricked it. I'm back to my modded stock bios now, but is there a way to achieve what I'm trying to do? I read two threads on other forums where someone has successfully flashed their card to a 6870.

cc_moreau_cc

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I've seen people do it before however, and this changes a lot, so listen in. Compared to the 6950 being flashed to a 6970, the 6850 will flash but will not unlock the extra shaders since they are physically separated on the PCB and not digitally locked. The way it works is that when you flash a 6950, it unlocks the digital lock and you can use the extra shaders. The 6850 has them physically removed so they are unusable. You will get to 6870 speeds perhaps, but you won't get the same performance as a true 6870.

jamiethemorris

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks for replying. Yeah, that's what I've heard. I don't care about the shaders though, I just want to be able to increase voltage. Also, and I'm sure many of you will understand this - modding for the sake of modding. After all, the os x boot screen only shows for a few seconds but i decided to fix the resolution... Just because.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me why the bios i used didn't work, maybe there's a specific one i have to user off of that page? I used atiwinflash from windows with the force option through the command line. The only way to unbrick it was to boot into atiflash and force flash it to the old bios. Maybe i need to do it that way?