Should I upgrade?

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello,
I am a old time gamer been gaming since 1977. started with 8 bit machines and worked my way up, now I have a i7 920 with ssd and gtx 480.I only play 2 games City of heroes(shutting down) and SWTOR. for the first time in decades,I almost feel like not upgrading anymore due to the machine meeting or exceeding my needs. i play on a 42 inch tv at 1900X1080, and may be adding a second tv to the system a hand me down 42 inch. my question is even as the 5xx and 6xx nvidia card prices are dropping, do I need to upgrade?

will the duel monitors even put a strain on my system? is my cable the bigger bottleneck?

also one last question,as the new 6xx series are pci 3.0 how much will i lose due to my MB being 2.1?

If you game across both screens, an upgrade may be in order. But gaming across two screens isn't all that great, it splits the image down the middle (and the aspect ratio would be weird). Unless the monitors have very thin bezels, it's better to just game on one screen and maybe have the second for the desktop (maybe with a guide to the dungeon/raid if you're playing an MMO, that can be pretty handy).

You won't really lose anything from your motherboard only having PCIe 2.1. Current graphics cards don't need the extra speed of PCIe 3.0.

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
yes i plan to keep using just one screen for the game,the other will be for guides /maps for some of the hidden items of the game(datacrons) and to keep email and such avail if needed.

yes my system spec:

i7-940 3.2 ghx
24 gig ddr3
120 gig ssd
500 gig data drive
blu-ray burner
evga gtx 480
win7-64
1kw PS
Sniper case

bought a 2T hd for less than 100.00 other day.

today I went crazy and bought a 55 inch tv with pc input,so with a video card upgrade, i could have the 55 as my main and the two 42s as AUX.

really feel weird, having a computer that would have been a crazy dream a few decades ago, now not even cutting edge. makes me wonder what it would be like in 20 years.

thank you for your advice

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
yes first machine had 12k of ram and no that is not a misprint, bought as a kit,SWTP 6800,got bare circuit boards, bag of parts and a picture where to install. had a ASR 33 110baud tty and paper tape.programmed in assembly, machine code. lot of fun people friendly, helpful.pitman's tiny Basic ran in 4k of ram. ty for all your suggestions.