Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer not starting

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2013 6:02:17 PM

I bought this cyberpowerpc from newegg in november 2012, this is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I haven't done anything to it, so it's exactly as described. Everything had been working fine until i tried to updrade the video card to a Zotac Geforce GTX 650 Ti, now I get this message when i startup my pc, "select boot device" or something like that, and the only option is "1. CD/DVD blah blah.." So i choose that one and then i get another screen that says "no bootable device found. press any key to go back"

Even when i put the gt 610 back on (which is the video card that the computer came with), it gives me the same black screen asking for boot device stuff.. what happend?

Why won't my computer boot up to windows? What happend to it?

More about : computer starting

Best solution

January 8, 2013 6:35:05 PM

More than likely while you were upgrading the graphics card, your HDD SATA cable, or power cable got bumped and isn't fully plugged in.

Go ahead and unplug the power cable and sata cable from the HDD, and then plug them back in, making sure they are completely inserted. Then unplug the SATA cable from the Motherboard, and re-insert it making sure it is completely plugged in.
January 8, 2013 7:00:01 PM

i wish that had been the problem but it's not, still asking for boot device, i was paying really close attention and i kind of hear a little cracking sound, perhaps coming from the hard drive???, very subtle it might be some other noise, im not sure.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 7:37:11 PM

Hard drive went if it cannot find the boot device anymore, or something got changed in the BIOS and your optical is now the primary/only boot device.
m
l
January 8, 2013 7:40:21 PM

Did you unplug and re-plug the cables though?

Trust me it doesn't matter how careful you were. Cables are easily knocked loose and you don't always notice. It takes 2 mins to check and could save you lots of frustration.

Hard drives normally make more of a repetitive ticking noise when they are failing. Crackling noises are usually down to a loose power connection somewhere and the electricity is having to bridge a gap. This reinforces the need to check your power connection..

Can you tell if the HDD is spinning when the machine is on?

EDIT:
Removed part about PSU. Found your PSU in specs and it is enough.
m
l
!