Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD vs Intel

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 8, 2013 8:02:52 PM

Build 1 http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/wziD (AMD)

Build 2 http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/w94Z (Intel)

The Intel build has an SSD but that can easily be added to the AMD build so please don't take that in to consideration... So, Which one for gaming. (Minecraft) and Minecraft server hosting

More about : amd intel

January 8, 2013 8:13:00 PM

pretty much I'd go with the amd build. then add a SSD later instead of 64gb you can add a 120 or higher.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 8:20:34 PM

If you really want amd go with the 965. It is actually better than the 6100. From my understanding the first gen FX's aren't that great for gaming.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 8:24:48 PM

id go with intel. for the amd you should look at the 6300 instead. also no need to spend a $100 on a case and then skimp on the cpu and ssd. windows 7 x64 takes ~20GB by itself so you really should get at least a 128GB ssd. for $30 more you can get a much better pc. you could even get the 3350P for $176.48 and save more money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.46 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe MX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($188.81 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($52.99 @ Computer Valley)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $766.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 17:21 EST-0500)
m
0
l
a b å Intel
January 8, 2013 8:47:25 PM

My preference - Intel.
Primarily because of better HD chipset/Driver.
jonjonjoh recommendation appear good - Outside of MB (normally get what you pay for, ie a $64 MB is what you get - BUT SAME applies to your AMD build.

Either way, concur on getting a larger SSD. My recommended Min size is 80 Gig with recommended being the 128 gig.

64 gig - 4 gig (when formated) - Min of 9, recommneded 12 gig that must NOT be used so a 64 gig SSD is really only 48 -> 51 Gigs available for Usage.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 9:03:24 PM

yea i could have picked a more expensive motherboard but i was already $30 more then what he initially listed. either way i wouldn't really worry about the board. its cheaper because you only get a couple PCIe slots and 1 sata3 port.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 9:55:11 PM

jonjonjon said:
id go with intel. for the amd you should look at the 6300 instead. also no need to spend a $100 on a case and then skimp on the cpu and ssd. windows 7 x64 takes ~20GB by itself so you really should get at least a 128GB ssd. for $30 more you can get a much better pc. you could even get the 3350P for $176.48 and save more money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.46 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe MX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($188.81 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($52.99 @ Computer Valley)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $766.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 17:21 EST-0500)



How about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/wAmL

I changed the SSD Manufacturer and also changed the case to the corsair 200r. Is the i5 really necessary for my gaming needs? Minecraft and World of Warcraft?
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 10:06:29 PM

i still like my build a lot better. not sure why you what to pay more for the ram and ssd. you will not notice a difference in performance between them. also that corsair case is $80 with shipping. no where near worth $35 more then the bit fenix. all this at the expense of the cpu.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 10:34:09 PM

jonjonjon said:
i still like my build a lot better. not sure why you what to pay more for the ram and ssd. you will not notice a difference in performance between them. also that corsair case is $80 with shipping. no where near worth $35 more then the bit fenix. all this at the expense of the cpu.


I will go with your build as my final. The only reason why I chose the different SSD brand is because I've never heard of Mushkin, and the I chose the 200r because I think it has better cable management. The ram was not changed because I changed the list from an old build.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 10:35:54 PM

after the amd driver updates WoW runs a lot better.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 10:44:21 PM

In my opinion if he can get the i5 quadcore and the gfx card with the ssd fine, but if not i don't recommend a ssd over the cpu or gpu, only get ssd if you can pay the rest of the parts i mentioned, see if you want to upgrade latter to an i5 you'll have to spend more 150$ if not more+i3 120$ for now, get the i5 and the 660 gtx or the 7850 if the budget really doesn't allow it.
If you can pay also for the ssd then get, it, if not get latter, no big deal.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 11:09:09 PM

colebooner said:
Is the i5 really necessary for my gaming needs? Minecraft and World of Warcraft?

Not strictly "necessary," but you'd benefit from it. 25-man raids in WoW can be pretty tough on the processor.

If you wanted AMD, I'd recommend the quad cores in the series—namely, an overclocked FX-4300—due to the very mediocre difference in games from the six- and eight-core chips.

That said, +1 for Intel, even if its just an i3.
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 11:44:58 PM

yea stay away from the fx-6100. look at the anand article. the 6300 which is a newer version of the 6100 is way behind the 3470. the 3470 will give you 40 FPS over the 6300. its sort of an unfair comparision because there is a $60 difference.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-a...
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 11:55:05 PM

Alright, I have a question. Would you recommend dropping the SSD for now, and getting the i5 3570k and a better motherboard ie; Asrock z77 Extreme 4 with overclocking abilities, and if so would I be able to put windows 7 on my SSD for the boot later on? Sorry I'm really new at this.
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 12:22:11 AM

do you plan on overclocking? if you did then it could be worth the extra money. you would also need a better cpu cooler. just make sure you still get an ssd. do you already have a regular hdd?

depends on the ssd. the ssd's that are "upgrade bundles" usually have some sort of cloning software to copy the everything on the hdd to the ssd. but some of the ssd's just come with the drive and nothing else.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.90 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.46 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($188.81 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($52.99 @ Computer Valley)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $768.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 21:20 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 12:27:52 AM

jonjonjon said:
do you plan on overclocking? if you did then it could be worth the extra money. you would also need a better cpu cooler. just make sure you still get an ssd. do you already have a regular hdd?

depends on the ssd. the ssd's that are "upgrade bundles" usually have some sort of cloning software to copy the everything on the hdd to the ssd. but some of the ssd's just come with the drive and nothing else.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.90 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.46 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($188.81 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($52.99 @ Computer Valley)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $768.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 21:20 EST-0500)



Alright awesome! Yes I do have a HDD it's from an old computer but the HDD was recently bought. It's a WD Blue 500gb. I plan on re formatting it whenever I buy the parts, and that motherboard is that motherboard able to overclock?
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 2:33:59 AM

yes you can overclock on a z75 board.
m
0
l
!