How to resolve WAN Miniport driver conflicts

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

On my WinXP+SP1 system I have got several items showing conflicts in
Device Manager. They are all under the heading of Network Adaptors:

WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)

The only other entry in Network Adaptor is ok:

VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet

What is a WAN Miniport? I don't recognize the device name. I don't
know if I even need these Miniport drivers.

Most importantly, how do I resolve the conflicts?
3 answers Last reply
More about resolve miniport driver conflicts
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    A WAN miniport is generally created when you create a VPN(Virtual Private
    Network) on your computer to connect to some network(say, the network at
    your workplace). If you do not use a VPN or do not run any applications
    "remotely", you can remove these items from Device Manager.

    "Peter Davis" <nomail@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On my WinXP+SP1 system I have got several items showing conflicts in
    > Device Manager. They are all under the heading of Network Adaptors:
    >
    > WAN Miniport (IP)
    > WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
    > WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    > WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    >
    > The only other entry in Network Adaptor is ok:
    >
    > VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
    >
    > What is a WAN Miniport? I don't recognize the device name. I don't
    > know if I even need these Miniport drivers.
    >
    > Most importantly, how do I resolve the conflicts?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    On Tue 29 Mar 2005 18:52:17, Abhilash Tibrewal wrote:

    > A WAN miniport is generally created when you create a
    > VPN(Virtual Private Network) on your computer to connect to some
    > network(say, the network at your workplace). If you do not use a
    > VPN or do not run any applications "remotely", you can remove
    > these items from Device Manager.

    I do not *think* I have a private network. I say *think* because I
    am connected to the Net by cable and ISTR that the cable modem and my
    PC for some sort of minature network.

    There are no other PC's attached to my PS and there are no other PC's
    sharing the cable connection.

    Am I ok to delete those device driver entries?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    >> "Peter Davis" <nomail@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> On my WinXP+SP1 system I have got several items showing
    >>> conflicts in Device Manager under Network Adaptors:
    >>>
    >>> WAN Miniport (IP)
    >>> WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
    >>> WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    >>> WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    >>>
    >>> The only other entry in Network Adaptor is ok:
    >>> VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
    >>>
    >>> What is a WAN Miniport? I don't recognize the device name. I
    >>> don't know if I even need these Miniport drivers.
    >>>
    >>> Most importantly, how do I resolve the conflicts?
    >

    > On Tue 29 Mar 2005 18:52:17, Abhilash Tibrewal wrote:
    >>
    >> A WAN miniport is generally created when you create a
    >> VPN(Virtual Private Network) on your computer to connect to some
    >> network(say, the network at your workplace). If you do not use a
    >> VPN or do not run any applications "remotely", you can remove
    >> these items from Device Manager.
    >

    > I do not *think* I have a private network. I say *think* because I
    > am connected to the Net by cable and ISTR that the cable modem and my
    > PC for some sort of minature network.
    >
    > There are no other PC's attached to my PS and there are no other PC's
    > sharing the cable connection.
    >
    > Am I ok to delete those device driver entries?

    Yes, you must go ahead to resolve the conflicts, since you are not using any
    of these.

    ----
    Abhilash Tibrewal

Drivers WAN Microsoft Windows XP