Trying to cut money off build, rate my build

im trying to stay on a budget here (as close to $700 or below as i can get) but also want a quad core, for gaming. i could deal with an i3 3220 or something like that if i cant drop the price any more, but this is the build i have so far, tell me what you think of it and what i can save money on

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wC0r
13 answers Last reply
More about trying money build rate build
  1. i would look at something like this. better video card. cheaper ram, case and psu. bigger monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. you wont be able to overclock the 3470. its still $50 over.

    whats the WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit for? is that just so your computer can use wireless? you can buy a cheap $20 wireless card.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Biostar H77MU3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($106.97 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Hannspree HL229DPB 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Other: Power Line Adapter ($59.99)
    Total: $756.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 21:34 EST-0500)
  2. jonjonjon said:
    i would look at something like this. better video card. cheaper ram, case and psu. bigger monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. you wont be able to overclock the 3470. its still $50 over.

    whats the WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit for? is that just so your computer can use wireless? you can buy a cheap $20 wireless card.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Biostar H77MU3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($106.97 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Hannspree HL229DPB 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Other: Power Line Adapter ($59.99)
    Total: $756.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 21:34 EST-0500)



    wow, this is cheaper than an i3 build i had, haha bravo. thanks.

    the powerline adaptor is because this is going in a room that does not have an Ethernet hookup (yet, i hope) so i need this temporarily. i have no idea wat ones are better or anything about them. if you could help that would be great


    also, i use headphones so i don't need built in speakers on the monitor or anything fancy like that, i also have read reviews that say some negative things about it so i might keep looking. i have a privately owned computer store near me i might stop in to and see what they have, but thanks anyway.
  3. if its just for the computer you can buy something like this. if you want dual band it will be even more. is that WD adapter just for the pc or are you connecting multiple devices with it? the monitor you had was only 1600x900 resolution.

    150Mbps - $15
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166047

    300Mbps - $25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166073
  4. jonjonjon said:
    if its just for the computer you can buy something like this. if you want dual band it will be even more. is that WD adapter just for the pc or are you connecting multiple devices with it? the monitor you had was only 1600x900 resolution.

    150Mbps - $15
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166047

    300Mbps - $25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166073


    it was going to be just for the computer...but that 300Mbps looks nice for the price, although the reviews as i am looking at them are less than ideal....
  5. id get a i3 build instead of a i5.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wCrF

    the 7770 is weak sauce compared to a gtx 660. you want more GPU power than CPU power at this price range. yeah a i3 might hold you back from multi-player a little, but would overall still get more fps than a 7770 can muster
  6. newegg has a ton of them. if you look under 'Wireless Adapters'. i just looked quickly so you might be able to find something cheaper and better.
  7. also, i wouldnt get a corsair builder power supply. pretty low quality compared to others such as the one i have
  8. $700 gaming pc, you'd want to spend about $105-$140 on the CPU.
  9. TheBigTroll said:
    also, i wouldnt get a corsair builder power supply. pretty low quality compared to others such as the one i have


    i want it to be at least 500W, so i dont really like your PSU. also the 7770 might be weak sauce, but it is $100 cheaper, so i think its suppose to be weaker.
  10. if you went with an i3 you could get a 7850 2GB card. but there are $50 MIR so its really $741.99 out of pocket.

    you can look through here to see what fps you can expect. the 7770 does struggle with 30 fps on newer games. if this is for gaming you probably are better with the i3 and a 7850 2GB card. the i3 is dual core but it has hyperthreading so that helps it.
    http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/page3.html


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Biostar H77MU3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($172.08 @ NCIX US)
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Hannspree HL229DPB 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $691.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 22:08 EST-0500)
  11. yes of course its cheaper by a hundred dollars, you get a little more than half the performance

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=660

    the corsair builder series provides around 400w of usable power. so i dont get your argument. note that the i5 uses a 77w tdp and a video card that has a 80w tdp. it comes no where near 450w.drives consume 5-8w and fans are around 10w for all of them inside your case. 450w goes a long way

    if a i3 at 55w and a 660 at 140w , your system power consumption is still around 250w both with the CPU at full lad and the GPU at full load (system consumption is still under 200w given those TDPs are for extreme conditions), you are perfectly safe. i didnt use a crap psu for this job
  12. TheBigTroll said:
    yes of course its cheaper by a hundred dollars, you get a little more than half the performance

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=660

    the corsair builder series provides around 400w of usable power. so i dont get your argument. note that the i5 uses a 77w tdp and a video card that has a 80w tdp. it comes no where near 450w.drives consume 5-8w and fans are around 10w for all of them inside your case. 450w goes a long way

    if a i3 at 55w and a 660 at 140w , your system power consumption is still around 250w both with the CPU at full lad and the GPU at full load (system consumption is still under 200w given those TDPs are for extreme conditions), you are perfectly safe. i didnt use a crap psu for this job


    alright, i did not compare all the power consumption, its just that i always go 500W out of habit, i like having room to upgrade but you do put up a valid argument
  13. jonjonjon said:
    if you went with an i3 you could get a 7850 2GB card. but there are $50 MIR so its really $741.99 out of pocket.

    you can look through here to see what fps you can expect. the 7770 does struggle with 30 fps on newer games. if this is for gaming you probably are better with the i3 and a 7850 2GB card. the i3 is dual core but it has hyperthreading so that helps it.
    http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/page3.html


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Biostar H77MU3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($172.08 @ NCIX US)
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Hannspree HL229DPB 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $691.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 22:08 EST-0500)


    i will probably go with this if i cant get enough money for the i5 build in time, so thanks.

    also i didnt think hyperthreading matter at all in games because games dont use hyperthreading yet? i think i read something like that in an article yet. either way i use an i3 2100 for gaming now so this will be an upgrade regardless.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Quad Core Systems Product