Define4 -- where to put my Corsair H80i radiator?

kirkbross

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I'm building a new box and I'm wondering where I should put my H80i radiator for logical air flow?

I have a Fractal Designs R4 case with:

Two top vents
Back vent (if I remove exhaust fan)
Front vent by top drive cage (if cage removed)
Bottom vents
Side vent

Sabertooth Z77 mobo

kirkbross

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
After doing half my build last night, I realize that the radiator only really reaches the rear vent or top vent. It doesn't stretch all the way to the front or bottom. So, I removed the rear exhaust fan and mounted the radiator at the rear. Corsair recommends having the radiator suck air IN (which makes sense because in most environments, the case air will be hotter than outside air and thus less cooling over the radiator). But... since the rear is usually for venting so how do I position my fans for optimum airflow? Do I vent out the front using the two 140s that came with the case? Maybe buy another 140 for one of the two top vents to vent up also?

tapko

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I had same issue. I would reverse a fan on the top to push air out and you will be ok. If you can put a fan on the bottom use it to pull air out....that is not the best place as hot air rises.
Just make sure that you have a fan that is mounted high in the case to vent and you will be ok

kirkbross

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I ended up just putting the H801 in place of the rear exhaust fan (as an exhaust instead of an intake as Corsair suggests) and moved the exhaust fan that came with the R4 to the front as a 2nd intake.

Lupo-13

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hi kirkbross, I am about to build a system with the same case and cooler and was wondering if you are happy with this set up. Did you install any fans on the top or bottom of the case? Or just the two in front for the intake, and the H80i in the back blowing out? I would like to avoid installing fans on top to contain the noise.
Thanks!

kirkbross

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I *love* the case and cooler... you'll be happy!

The only place the H80i fits while 'comfortably' reaching the CPU is the back, in place of the rear exhaust fan. I removed the existing exhaust fan and put it up front as a second intake fan, above the existing front fan in the R4. The H80i instructions say to make it an intake fan but I read in several forums that it's not a huge deal and so I made it an exhaust fan, as the rear fan traditionally is.

I left both of the top fan spots closed / sealed (for better noise control) but I did add one Noctua 140mm Fan at the bottom next to the PSU. I really didn't "need" to add this fan since I'm not doing any overclocking and the case is cool, but I had bought it when I ordered everything and so I stuck it in there for just because I had it.

Lupo-13

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Thanks! Very helpful. I will do the same thing. The Noctua at the bottom is it pushing air out? or pulling air in? In case you are running Windows 8, what has been your experience with the Cross Link software? Have read about compatibility issues.

kirkbross

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
The Noctua at the bottom is it pushing air out?
No, the bottom Noctua is another intake. So it's two fronts plus the bottom as intakes and the H80i is the only out/exhaust (with its two fans).

There is a lot of debate regarding positive vs. negative case pressure, with good arguments for both sides. (Basically more intake fans than out = positive pressure and more exhaust fans than intakes = negative). I land in the positive-pressure-is-better camp, but (imo) it starts to get silly. Kind of like, "nothing is overheating so just start enjoying your computer already! :)"

Unless you're going to be doing overclocking (and even if you are) you probably don't even need the extra bottom fan. I didn't add it because I was having case temp issues, only because I owned it already and didn't want it just sitting in its box.