Sign in with
Your question

Will a Thermaltake TR2 600W work on a ATI Radeon HD 6770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 25, 2012 3:15:19 AM

i already bought the tr2 600w, i heard its really bad, some guy said his fry after a month of using, so should i return the psu for a better one?

Dell Studio 540
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34 GHz
6GB Ram
64 bit operating system

Sorry if i say something wrong or weird, im new to this, first time i change my graphics card and psu....
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2012 7:11:03 AM

You should not have any problem using the PSU with 6770. But, if you want to upgrade to a better and higher power consumption graphics card, (SLi, Crossfire etc ) you might want to change the PSU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2012 7:20:39 AM

you can get by with that combination, but if you have the option of returning, do so. you can get a better psu hand down for the same (maybe less) money. The 6770 is an ok low end card, but you want to look at the games you want to play. Plus, blackfriday tigar direct has a 7770 for $70, a huge improvement of that card for what i'm guessing is the same price
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 U Graphics card
November 25, 2012 7:33:14 AM

The problem with the tr2 is that they used to be total garbage a while ago and got a.bad name. A lot of the lower ones still are. And themaltake is not known as a good PSU maker. Why does thermaltake keep using a name that people immediately say "that's junk!" To? I assume their marketing department are idiots honestly.

The new ones are nothing special but they aren't ticking time bombs and can meet their specs, and don't need to be replaced. You should be able to run any single gpu on it, even a 7970. IF it is the new version.

Here's load testing on the 600W you have.
EDIT: google "thermaltake-tr2-bronze-600wtr-600p-review". Toms is filtering the website name for no reason. Must not like competition.

And testing on the next one up, the 700W, with explanation on the naming.
www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-700-W-P...

So. Old TR2 very bad. New TR2 bronze units are made by FSP and are perfectly fine, even above average for a bronze unit. That being said I wouldn't have picked it, but if it's gonna.cost you to return it I'd probably say keep it. You're putting a very light load on it anyway
m
l
November 25, 2012 12:39:54 PM

unksol said:
The problem with the tr2 is that they used to be total garbage a while ago and got a.bad name. A lot of the lower ones still are. And themaltake is not known as a good PSU maker. Why does thermaltake keep using a name that people immediately say "that's junk!" To? I assume their marketing department are idiots honestly.

The new ones are nothing special but they aren't ticking time bombs and can meet their specs, and don't need to be replaced. You should be able to run any single gpu on it, even a 7970. IF it is the new version.

Here's load testing on the 600W you have.
EDIT: google "thermaltake-tr2-bronze-600wtr-600p-review". Toms is filtering the website name for no reason. Must not like competition.

And testing on the next one up, the 700W, with explanation on the naming.
www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-700-W-P...

So. Old TR2 very bad. New TR2 bronze units are made by FSP and are perfectly fine, even above average for a bronze unit. That being said I wouldn't have picked it, but if it's gonna.cost you to return it I'd probably say keep it. You're putting a very light load on it anyway
Alright thanks for explaining it clearly.Just to be clear and make sure im not dreaming, its ok to keep it right?
m
l
a c 78 U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 1:51:40 AM

If it's a tr2 bronze it's perfectly fine to keep. A good company makes them for themaltake now (they don't actually make anything themselves)
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:17:31 PM

unksol said:
If it's a tr2 bronze it's perfectly fine to keep. A good company makes them for themaltake now (they don't actually make anything themselves)
not talking about the bronze, talking about the one i have, i buy my stuff from bestbuy, dont really buy stuff online and the one i have is like the best one i found thats in my price range, dont want it getting fked after a couple week
m
l
!