Opinions?

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I don't know scanners very well and have read quite a bit of the forum...but I wanted a multitude of opinions for this question: What is the best scanner for around 100 US dollars <b>for pictures?</b>

<font color=blue>I don't have to be careful! I have a gun!</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

Loqutis

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Dude I dont know what prices are in the US, but Ill give you some gen on scanners, Depending on what you want to do with your piccies as to what res you go for, If you double the size of a photo you halve the res, eg a 6x4 photo scanned at 600dpi doubled in size will end up at 300dpi.
Most scanners have software interpolation for scanning, the Epson 2400 for example has the ability to scan at up to 12,000dpi, but its the software that gets it to that res.
So if you want a scanner for photos look for a scanner that scans at either 1200dpi or 2400dpi, remember too that the higher the res the bigger the file size and the longer it will take to scan

Me and Seven of Nine, Ohhh Yeah

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
What could be the best canon scanner at around 100-130 dollar.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -

GraphicsGod

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2003
One model scanner that I would look into is the Microtek Scanmaker 6000. I just picked one up to go with my film scanner and the quality is great. It has USB 2.0 if you are at all concerned with speed as well. Other than that it has 6400x3200 optical resolution. You probably won't need anything higher than that as those size files are astronomical and defeat the purpose of a home based scanner used for email, etc. You can check out the specs on the scanner at Best Buy or at their website:

http://www.microtekusa.com/sm6000.html