Sign in with
Your question

Help with a jelly build (700~750)

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2013 5:45:32 AM

So I got amazing advice on a build, built it, and now the wife is jealous haha! You know what that means... time to build her one :| Here we go:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week sometime

Budget Range: 700~750. Hate Mail in rebates. After shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video/Photo editing, Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: New from the ground up

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not picky, do live close to a micro center for the processor though

Parts Preferences: Intel. Nothing else really. Case that has fans perhaps?

Overclocking: Most likely not

SLI or Crossfire: I don't think so?

Your Monitor Resolution: Monitor in the build if possible? If not then not a huge deal.

Additional Comments: Skyrim, Half life, Portal, L4D, Crysis, Deus ex, Minesweeper, Photo and video editing

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Wife wants one. She is a photographer and we run biology experiments for college that requires video and photo editing.

Huge difference between the i5 2500k for 149.99 and the i5 3570k for 169.99? They aren't showing any non k i5 processors at micro center. Or would an i3 be able to handle the gaming and the editing?

More about : jelly build 700 750

January 9, 2013 7:11:38 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wF7f

Here is where I am so far. Any recommendations for a better budget case or anything? preferably with front panel usb ports to go with the mobo?
January 9, 2013 7:16:55 AM

Don't get that PSU. Get one from corsair, seasonic or enermax as they are reliable brands. It's not a part to skimp on.
Related resources
January 9, 2013 7:17:52 AM

I like the NZXT Gamma Classic a lot for budget builds, but it's not USB 3.0 - only 2.0.

A 2500k should be fine, but I'm fairly certain microcenter has more i5's than that. If it's not gaming on max settings, an i3 would be fine.

Other than that, you have a great setup there - you know computers / modern parts / did your homework.
January 9, 2013 7:24:07 AM

If no overclocking is required the ivy bridge part is faster.
January 9, 2013 7:19:52 PM

She likes her games pretty haha. Is the ivy bridge i3 or i5? I couldn't really make sense of the differences in the k model as far as the 2500k was concerned because i'm not overclocking it. What's the price difference in the ivy bridge?
January 9, 2013 7:33:25 PM

Ivy bridge is the i5 3 parts and sandy bridge is i5 2- parts.

Ivy bridge is only slightly more expensive. The highest rated i5 of either series that isn't k.

k just give you the ability to overclock.
January 9, 2013 11:06:05 PM

Opinions please: Corsair 500w semi modular at $65 OR 600w non modular for $61? This build says it's using 303w but I don't want to skimp too badly on the wattage.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wLFc
Here is the current build. Recommendations at all? Put on a 600w for $65 from corsair and changed the case. If there is a case within $20 of where I am now that can make use of the front panel usb 3.0 please let me know.
January 10, 2013 6:07:55 AM

All sounds good. 500w would do but if you plan to upgrade GPU in the future then 600w is more robust.

Do you have anything to utilize usb 3.0?
!