Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Sapphire 7970 Ghz Vapor-X

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 25, 2012 8:06:03 AM

Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I know the Sapphire 7970 Ghz Vapor-X Edition is a 2 slot card, but I read that the fans actually extend it to a 3-slot. Will I be able to crossfire a pair of Sapphire 7970 Ghz Vapor-X Edition cards on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard?
November 25, 2012 8:53:02 AM

It'll be a very tight fit. I was running that board with 2 xfx 7970s and had about an inch of clearence between the cards. I just looked up the width differences between the two cards, and it looks like the sapphire is .9" wider than the xfx.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 8:55:24 AM

Dude496 said:
It'll be a very tight fit. I was running that board with 2 xfx 7970s and had about an inch of clearence between the cards. I just looked up the width differences between the two cards, and it looks like the sapphire is .9" wider than the xfx.


So it would technically fit, but will the decrease in space between the two cards decrease the cooling of both cards? Would it be more wise to get 2x XFX 7970 Double D Black Edition cards? How far apart is the cooling, noise and overclocking potential between the two?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 25, 2012 9:04:30 AM

I've heard nothing but good things regarding the sapphire cards. XFX on the other had can be a bit problematic...it seems the newer cards haven't been getting the quality assurance checks that they should be getting. I've seen several reviews on amazon and new egg about the fan failing on the XFX. The older cards don't have the same problem. The fan on the XFX is rather loud, I've been tempted to get artic coolers for it, but still deciding between water cooling or air cooling.

Also, if you do go with the XFX, make sure to get the older model that only has one dvi port. When they switched to the dual dvi ports, they changed the PCB to revision 3.1. In that revision, they locked the ability to change the voltages. I don't believe it is even possible to work around that with a bios flash.

The best that I can do for overclocking on the stock cooler setup is 1240 clock and 1650 memory. Keep in mind that is in crossfire setup which can lower overclocking abilitiy. I don't know how far I could push it in single card setup, never tried.

Also, crossfire does induce the possibilty of micro-stutter. I've heard that Radeon pro tools helps address this issue, but the only other way to reduce micro-stutter in a multi-gpu setup is to go tri-fire. I will say that micro-stutter is somewhat subjective...some people notice it more than others. Unfortunatly, your board won't support a tri-fire setup.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 9:13:03 AM

Here is a pic of my old setup using 2 xfx 7970's on a asrock extreme 4

m
0
l
November 25, 2012 9:44:56 AM

Dude496 said:
Here is a pic of my old setup using 2 xfx 7970's on a asrock extreme 4

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/dude496/photo.jpg


Sorry if I'm repeating my question, but will the decreased space between the two cards reduce cooling? And how bad is the micro stutter? Should I just go Nvidia SLI with 670s?
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 9:51:20 AM

Micro stutter happens on all multi gpu setups regardless if it's amd or nvidia. Though it is subjective and I have heard that nvidia tends to be a bit better at reducing it. As for the cooling, I honestly can't answer that since I haven't played around with the sapphire cards. I've had my XFX cards pretty close and didnt have an issue with cooling
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 10:01:23 AM

the cooling will be impacted due to lack of space b/w the cards however if you have a well ventilated chasis then the cards should stay relatively cool and you can play hours without any problems.

Hope this helps
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 10:11:51 AM

jaideep1337 said:
the cooling will be impacted due to lack of space b/w the cards however if you have a well ventilated chasis then the cards should stay relatively cool and you can play hours without any problems.

Hope this helps


I also have the option of getting the HIS 7970 IceQ X² 3GB at my local store. It is a two slot card, will this perform and overclock well? Will it beat a 680 as of the 12.11 Catalyst drivers?

And how many watts is needed for crossfire 7970s?

Here's the rest of my spec:
i5-3570k
Antec Kuhler h20 620
Asrock z77 extreme4
Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 8gb (4x2)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache
NZXT Phantom 410 (going to fit this with 2x 120mm top fans and 2x 120 front fans, will that be adequate enough for 2x 7970 Vapor-Xs??)
Liteon iHas-124
Antec TP-750/Corsair HX850/Corsair HX1050/Corsair AX850
2x 7970s (haven't decided on model)
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 12:18:40 PM

Don't get the IceQ. The vapor X is better in my opinion and already outperforms 680 at stock.

For a crossfire setup I would recommend a decent 700watt unit from seasonic or corsair or other good brands. Those cards will still have overclocking headroom too
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 12:39:47 PM

jaideep1337 said:
Don't get the IceQ. The vapor X is better in my opinion and already outperforms 680 at stock.

For a crossfire setup I would recommend a decent 700watt unit from seasonic or corsair or other good brands. Those cards will still have overclocking headroom too


Alright, so an HX850 will work right? Will the cooling take a DRAMATIC hit though, because of lack of space?
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 2:32:08 PM

nope not a dramatic hit but it will take a hit and the HX850 is plenty to run both the cards.

Have fun
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 2:53:59 PM

Not a good idea at all no do not buy that motherboard with two 7970GHz. The cards will be sandwich against one another and run to hot.The $130 motherboards as i tend to find they skimp in areas or cut corners prime example:
The Z77 Extreme4 can be purchased for as little as $130. Taking a look at the current availability of Intel Z77 motherboards at popular retailers confirms that this motherboard is an absolute bargain and I would say – if you are on a tight budget then give this board some consideration, you should certainly consider it.



The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex.That's not really a big deal to some for me it's the principle i don't want to pay money for something like that i rather pay more for a flawless board with some extra features.Besides that you don't use budget boards in builds with CF 7970GHz it's not balanced.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 2:43:08 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Not a good idea at all no do not buy that motherboard with two 7970GHz. The cards will be sandwich against one another and run to hot.The $130 motherboards as i tend to find they skimp in areas or cut corners prime example:
The Z77 Extreme4 can be purchased for as little as $130. Taking a look at the current availability of Intel Z77 motherboards at popular retailers confirms that this motherboard is an absolute bargain and I would say – if you are on a tight budget then give this board some consideration, you should certainly consider it.



The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex.That's not really a big deal to some for me it's the principle i don't want to pay money for something like that i rather pay more for a flawless board with some extra features.Besides that you don't use budget boards in builds with CF 7970GHz it's not balanced.


What motherboard would u recommend for CF 7970s? The sabertooth?
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:01:57 AM

bigcyco1 said:
That is a good choice you could go cheaper though one of these would be a good choice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


How about the UD3H? Any different between it and the UD5H? Which one better for xfire 7970s. It's on sale at my local store currently, and can you explain the different z77 motherboards that asus produces? I don't really understand the difference between the lk, le pro, non-pro etc. And which one would u recommend I go with for Xfire 7970s. Gigabyte or Asus?

I also saw the Gigabyte G1. Sniper M3, it's a micro-atx, with that be any good? And will it fit in my NZXT Phantom 410?
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:34:47 AM

1) The P8Z77-V LX has one additional PCI-Legacy slot for a total of three PCI slots. The P8Z77-V has two PCI-Legacy slots.

2) The P8Z77-V LX makes do with a Realtek GbE that steals one PCI-e 2.0 lane off of the PCH. The regular P8Z77-V uses an Intel GbE with a dedicated PHY connection.

3) The P8Z77-V LX has onboard audio that's inferior to the one on the P8Z77-V: Although both use Realtek audio controllers, the one on the P8Z77-V LX is the lesser-specced ALC887 versus the P8Z77-V's ALC892.

4) The P8Z77-V has two extra SATA 6.0 Gbps ports controlled by an onboard ASMedia controller (in addition to the two SATA 6.0 Gbps ports and the four SATA 3.0 Gbps ports native to the Z77 chipset). The P8Z77-V LX has only the Intel SATA ports.

5) The P8Z77-V supports SLI in addition to Crossfire. The P8Z77-V LX supports only Crossfire.

Also, there are two additional models in between the P8Z77-V LX and the P8Z77-V in the Asus Z77 regular ATX board lineup: The P8Z77-V LE has the more mainstream ALC892 audio controller instead of the LX's ALC887. The P8Z77-V LK has the secondary PCI-e x16 slot running at PCI-e 3.0 x8 but one fewer PCI-Legacy slot. That allows the P8Z77-V LK to support SLI in addition to Crossfire. As such, the P8Z77-V LK is a cut-down version of the plain P8Z77-V, omitting the latter's ASMedia SATA 6.0 Gbps controller and using a Realtek GbE instead of an Intel one. You can do some reading here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI... and here: http://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-as...
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:55:51 AM

That article lacks one thing though. It's about the V-LX, this board has only 4+2 Power Phase compared to 12 Phase on the regular V anyway off on my date lol.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 4:39:31 AM

bigcyco1 said:
That article lacks one thing though. It's about the V-LX, this board has only 4+2 Power Phase compared to 12 Phase on the regular V anyway off on my date lol.


Okay, I think I will go for the UD3H, for some reason, my local store sells the Sabertooth for cheaper than the PRO. I also like the black-blue color on the UD3H more. Is the G1 Sniper M3 any good? I'm going for a more Black-Green color scheme, so the board will match.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 6:56:34 AM

bigcyco1 said:
G1 Sniper M3 that is a Micro ATX motherboard i believe if so it's a horrible choice for CF 7970GHz my date just show up so i am off you really should read this before you decide http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI... it's in your best interest.


Alright then I think that I'm 90% going to run 2x 7970 Vapor-Xs with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H. That should be fine right? Will there be more space between the cards to cool well? (compared to the asrock z77 extreme4). I'm going to do some overclocking.
My local store also has the MSI Z77A-GD65 on sale for around $140, will that be good too? My main problem is the space between cards. But I also heard that the z77 extreme4 is a bit smaller, so I wouldn't mind changing to a better motherboard.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 10:50:08 AM

If you are going to replace the motherboard for something that will fit a card that is close to a 3 slot size, I would recommend ditching that sapphire card and going with the Asus matrix card. If I didn't already have 3 XFX 7970's, I would jump over to the Asus card in a heartbeat....especially since it would work very well with my rampage extreme IV motherboard.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/16/asus_matrix_h...

If you want to stick with your current motherboard, the older XFX 7970 is a good setup. Here is a review, but keep in mind that this review is a bit older and does not take the newer drivers into consideration...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/30/xfx_double_d_...

m
0
l
November 26, 2012 11:26:42 AM

I would be all over that Asus matrix card as well.I would not consider the xfx over the vapor x though.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 11:30:32 AM

I'd consider the xfx over the vapor x if space and price are a concern. Otherwise, the vapor x is hands down better. Oh the joys of having to sacrifice when building a computer lol.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 1:56:07 PM

Hmm, yea I'll check if the Matrix ones are in stock. Platinum or non Platinum? What's the difference? Also, the MSI z77a-gd65 comes with a pair of 4gb Team Xtreem ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... any good? Or just stick with the UD3H and not get the free ram?

EDIT: So 2 Matrix 7970s would fit in the GD65 and UD3H with adequate cooling? (they are a bit more than 3 slot) or should I just stick back to the Vapor-X. I don't want to spend more than $240 on a mobo.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 11:36:36 PM

bigcyco1 said:
You still did not read this http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI... i can tell or you would not be asking lol


Actually, I did. But doesn't that article only show the different PCIE slot scaling? Like PCIE 3.0 x16 vs PCIE 2.0 x8 etc.

I was just asking if the two graphics cards would fit. Like the space difference between the slots. I know both motherboards have 16x, 8x and 4x slots.

And actually now that i think of it, would it be more wise to just get a 7970 Matrix and then get a 8970 and don't go the crossfire route?
m
0
l
November 27, 2012 8:48:23 AM

Oh and I can also get a 670 too, but with the 12.11 drivers, I thought that the 7970s performed better and overclocked better.
m
0
l
November 27, 2012 9:29:32 AM

If your going to get two 7970 Vapor X you need a motherboard that will support them with enough breathing room space so that the cards are not sandwich up against one another Extended ATX Intel Motherboard motherboards are usually the best choice
m
0
l
November 27, 2012 9:38:25 AM

bigcyco1 said:
If your going to get two 7970 Vapor X you need a motherboard that will support them with enough breathing room space so that the cards are not sandwich up against one another Extended ATX Intel Motherboard motherboards are usually the best choice


So if I were to get an E-ATX motherboard, would I put the two 7970s in the 1st and 3rd slot or still the 1st and 2nd slot?

Actually, now that I think about it, I might just get a single 7970 and then swap it out with an 8970 in the future. That's probably a better idea. So I guess MSI Z77A-GD65 and 7970 Vapor X? Also, the GD65 comes with 8gb (2x4) of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... memory. I've never heard of Team before, are their ram any good?
m
0
l
November 27, 2012 10:22:27 AM

Yeah that is a better idea just getting one card.As for the ram should not be to bad it's free lol.I don't know about the MSI motherboard.I would look at the specs make sure the it will be compatible.If so go for it.
m
0
l
November 27, 2012 11:14:07 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Yeah that is a better idea just getting one card.As for the ram should not be to bad it's free lol.I don't know about the MSI motherboard.I would look at the specs make sure the it will be compatible.If so go for it.


Okay, I'm currently debating between the GD65 vs the UD3h, the GD65 seems like a better deal because of the free 8gb ram.
m
0
l
November 27, 2012 12:40:54 PM

Wow, I was reading this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g...

I just saw that, "the Z77 Extreme6 divides those lanes into x8/x8 mode whenever a card is detected in the second slot, relying on the Z77 PCH's slower PCIe 2.0 controller to drive the third slot at x4. That makes this primarily a two-way graphics design, so ASRock triple-spaces the two high-bandwidth slots to support extra airflow and/or extra-thick cards."

It seems that the two slots are triple spaced. Will that be able to fit 2 7970 Vapor-Xs or even Matrixes? (The UD3H and GD65 PCIE lanes are also 3-slot apart, just checked). The Asrock Extreme6, UD3H and GD65 are all the same price, only the GD65 comes with 8gb of ram. Which one should I opt for?
m
0
l

Best solution

November 28, 2012 1:13:10 AM

The Z77 Extreme6
Share
November 28, 2012 5:11:01 AM

bigcyco1 said:
The Z77 Extreme6


Ok, I was going to go for that too. Thanks for all the help!
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 5:15:55 AM

Your welcome!
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 6:59:42 AM

Best answer selected by Cool4strenz.
m
0
l
!