Windows XP Pro Random Reboot

Hello Everyone,

I have a Windows XP Pro machine that reboots all by itself, any help would
be much appreciated. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+; 512MB RAM; 80 GIG HDD,
running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all Critical Updates and Optional Updates.
I have integrated sound and a NVidia GeForce FX5600 DDR video card. I have
an error in the event viewer:

Error code 00000051, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000001,
parameter3 e2a56098, parameter4 00f39acc.

This error code changes everytime on the reboot. Also I send the error logs
to Microsoft after the reboot, and all it says the reboot was caused device
driver and it was unable to determine what the exact driver that caused the
problem. If you need anymore information please let me know.

Thank you,
Jason

DarkKnight

goto control panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery/settings untick
automatically restart. this will stop the autorestart and allow you to
read the actual error message, hopefully from this you will be able to
determin what is causing the problem

Jason Schoppert wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>

> I have a Windows XP Pro machine that reboots all by itself, any help would
> be much appreciated. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+; 512MB RAM; 80 GIG HDD,
> running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all Critical Updates and Optional Updates.
> I have integrated sound and a NVidia GeForce FX5600 DDR video card. I have
> an error in the event viewer:
>
> Error code 00000051, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000001,
> parameter3 e2a56098, parameter4 00f39acc.
>
> This error code changes everytime on the reboot. Also I send the error logs
> to Microsoft after the reboot, and all it says the reboot was caused device
> driver and it was unable to determine what the exact driver that caused the
> problem. If you need anymore information please let me know.
>
> Thank you,
> Jason

Hi Jason,

To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"Jason Schoppert" <jschoppert@jerrysford.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>

> I have a Windows XP Pro machine that reboots all by itself, any help would
> be much appreciated. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+; 512MB RAM; 80 GIG
> HDD, running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all Critical Updates and Optional
> Updates. I have integrated sound and a NVidia GeForce FX5600 DDR video
> card. I have an error in the event viewer:
>
> Error code 00000051, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000001,
> parameter3 e2a56098, parameter4 00f39acc.
>
> This error code changes everytime on the reboot. Also I send the error
> logs to Microsoft after the reboot, and all it says the reboot was caused
> device driver and it was unable to determine what the exact driver that
> caused the problem. If you need anymore information please let me know.
>
> Thank you,
> Jason

Since I typed this thread I have had it crash on me about 5 more times. I
sent the report to Microsoft, but this time it was different. I got the
"Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver" and I did what the web page said to
do. I set the hardware acceleration to "None" and removed the check from
the checkbox that says "Enable Write Combining". I also did what you said
and set the verifier and will wait to see "if" it happens again. I have
only seen these problems with the NVidia chipset video cards. I have a
NVidia GeForce FX5600 (that I took out of the machine) and now I am running
a GeForce FX 5200 and I still have the problem.

Thank you for your time,
Jason N. Schoppert

"Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jason,
>
> To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable
> driver verifier.
> Steps:
> 1) Windows Key + R
> 2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
> 3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
> 4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
> 5) Reboot
>
> There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
> occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and
> select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step
> 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next
> to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.
>
> This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
> will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
> the blue screen will hopefully say something like
> "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
> corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
> If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
> hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,
>

> Joshua Smith
> OpenGL Test Lab
> Microsoft
> -----

> "Jason Schoppert" <jschoppert@jerrysford.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Everyone,
>>

>> I have a Windows XP Pro machine that reboots all by itself, any help
>> would be much appreciated. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+; 512MB RAM; 80
>> GIG HDD, running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all Critical Updates and
>> Optional Updates. I have integrated sound and a NVidia GeForce FX5600 DDR
>> video card. I have an error in the event viewer:
>>
>> Error code 00000051, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000001,
>> parameter3 e2a56098, parameter4 00f39acc.
>>
>> This error code changes everytime on the reboot. Also I send the error
>> logs to Microsoft after the reboot, and all it says the reboot was caused
>> device driver and it was unable to determine what the exact driver that
>> caused the problem. If you need anymore information please let me know.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jason

Josh,

I tried to email you but it bounced.

Jason

"Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jason,
>
> To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable
> driver verifier.
> Steps:
> 1) Windows Key + R
> 2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
> 3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
> 4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
> 5) Reboot
>
> There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
> occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and
> select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step
> 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next
> to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.
>
> This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
> will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
> the blue screen will hopefully say something like
> "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
> corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
> If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
> hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,
>

> Joshua Smith
> OpenGL Test Lab
> Microsoft
> -----

> "Jason Schoppert" <jschoppert@jerrysford.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Everyone,
>>

>> I have a Windows XP Pro machine that reboots all by itself, any help
>> would be much appreciated. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+; 512MB RAM; 80
>> GIG HDD, running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all Critical Updates and
>> Optional Updates. I have integrated sound and a NVidia GeForce FX5600 DDR
>> video card. I have an error in the event viewer:
>>
>> Error code 00000051, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000001,
>> parameter3 e2a56098, parameter4 00f39acc.
>>
>> This error code changes everytime on the reboot. Also I send the error
>> logs to Microsoft after the reboot, and all it says the reboot was caused
>> device driver and it was unable to determine what the exact driver that
>> caused the problem. If you need anymore information please let me know.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jason

Hi Jason,

Remove the "online" portion of the address. It is there to help prevnet
my address from being farmed for spam.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

> Josh,
>
> I tried to email you but it bounced.
>
> Jason
>

> "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable
>> driver verifier.
>> Steps:
>> 1) Windows Key + R
>> 2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
>> 3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
>> 4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit
>> Finish
>> 5) Reboot
>>
>> There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
>> occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and
>> select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on
>> step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box
>> next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish;
>> reboot.
>>
>> This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
>> will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
>> the blue screen will hopefully say something like
>> "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
>> corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
>> If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
>> hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,
>>

>> Joshua Smith
>> OpenGL Test Lab
>> Microsoft
>> -----
>>
>> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

>> rights
>>

>> "Jason Schoppert" <jschoppert@jerrysford.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>

>>> I have a Windows XP Pro machine that reboots all by itself, any help
>>> would be much appreciated. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+; 512MB RAM; 80
>>> GIG HDD, running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all Critical Updates and
>>> Optional Updates. I have integrated sound and a NVidia GeForce FX5600
>>> DDR video card. I have an error in the event viewer:
>>>
>>> Error code 00000051, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000001,
>>> parameter3 e2a56098, parameter4 00f39acc.
>>> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>>>
>>> This error code changes everytime on the reboot. Also I send the error
>>> logs to Microsoft after the reboot, and all it says the reboot was
>>> caused device driver and it was unable to determine what the exact
>>> driver that caused the problem. If you need anymore information please
>>> let me know.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jason

Josh,

I have done a total reinstall of Windows XP and it seems ok for now. I will
keep you posted. I think it was a bad NVidia driver.

Jason