Sign in with
Your question

Am i heading in the right direction?

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2013 10:08:46 AM

I really appreciate your help with this;

Ok so I have been wanting to build my own desktop for a while - despite being a relative novice. I would like a med-high powered machine that can handle med setting games and take care of some video processing. Ideally this setup will be relatively upgradeable.

I have tried to research as much as possible and have come up with the following components that I believe will give me what I want with the minimum cost.

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor

Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive

Thermaltake VM400M1W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair Builder 600W ATX12V Power Supply

I would love to hear all comments and suggestions of will/wont work and any ideas for reducing cost and improving performance.

Many thanks

More about : heading direction

January 9, 2013 10:21:24 AM

Nice build. If you really wanted to do some video editing and wouldn't mind lowering down a couple graphics detail, this build is pretty good.

If you wanted to do some overclocking though, get a cpu cooler. I recommend something like Scythe Mugen 2 or even the Noctua D14 if you have the money. You'll just have to make sure it fits will tall RAM heatsinks
Related resources
January 9, 2013 12:09:02 PM

note that fx chips dont like to run ram at above 1600mhz
January 9, 2013 12:12:44 PM

TheBigTroll said:
note that fx chips dont like to run ram at above 1600mhz

My 5600k works best with the 2400mhz ram I have installed right now. I already tried some 1600 but I wasn't getting the performance I wanted

but also notice that he is looking for the cheapest build possible and the 3770k is going to put that price up another $100 as well as boards for the i7 are often more exspensive. In place of the 660 I would recommend a HD7870 Sapphire, it is a better card as well as being a little cheaper depending what company you get it from
January 9, 2013 12:15:37 PM

the APUs love fast ram. the fx chips dont
January 10, 2013 10:34:42 AM

EzioAs said:
Nice build. If you really wanted to do some video editing and wouldn't mind lowering down a couple graphics detail, this build is pretty good.

If you wanted to do some overclocking though, get a cpu cooler. I recommend something like Scythe Mugen 2 or even the Noctua D14 if you have the money. You'll just have to make sure it fits will tall RAM heatsinks

Thanks for your reply.
January 10, 2013 10:36:41 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the APUs love fast ram. the fx chips dont

Thanks TheBigTroll, what RAM would you suggest for me?
January 10, 2013 11:26:42 AM

i suggested to get a intel chip instead of a amd fx chip. the APU was a off topic thing about AMD and their ram
!