Sign in with
Your question

A good PSU for my build.

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2013 2:23:12 PM

Hi Guys,

I've just got all the parts for my build but have a crappy PSU, some generic 600Watt thing and read that this is overlooked way too often so I'm asking you guys what would be a good PSU for this system that will not destroy my pocket as I am on a budget.

My Specs are as follows.

CPU - Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz

Motherboard - Gigabyte P8H67-M LE

Memory - 8GB Corsiar Vengeance low profile DDR3 RAM, 1600 (2x 4GB sticks)

Storage - 160GB Sata Hard drive

Graphics Card - Gigabyte GTX 460, Super Overclock series, 1GB 256-bit

The card says the minimum requirement is 450 Watt but I'm guessing I would want to get more than that.
I'm really not bothered about future upgrades for this system or anything, I've thrown this together to last me 5/6 months to game until I can build something better so bang for buck is key here.

Any suggestions would be great as I have limited knowledge when it comes to PSU's.

Thanks.

More about : good psu build

a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2013 2:45:33 PM

Acutal power consumption would be well under 400w so if you are not concerned with upgrading, then look toward the Antec VP-450. It is a quality unit at a good price. Other than Antec stick with Corsair, XFX or Seasonic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
January 9, 2013 4:31:13 PM

sadams04 said:
Acutal power consumption would be well under 400w so if you are not concerned with upgrading, then look toward the Antec VP-450. It is a quality unit at a good price. Other than Antec stick with Corsair, XFX or Seasonic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So if my power consumtion is that low could I not just get away with teh 600W cheap unit I have lying around?

Or does it not work like that?
January 9, 2013 4:57:52 PM

Get a corsair 650W power supply you wont even get close to needing the full 650W until later, i have a 750W power supply when im not even using 650W im just future proofing my rig, its like this you buy a minimum power supply you need for the time then a game comes out you desperately want to play then you go ahead and buy it, and then you realize your GTX 460 cant handle it so you want to SLI or get a 550 or bigger but the problem is if you have a budget you cant buy another card AND another power supply so your stuck with nothing. What i do is buy a big good grade power supply to future proof my gaming rig. Last week i wanted to run bf3 on ultra 1080p but my single GTX 550 ti wouldn't cut it so went ahead and bought another GTX 550 ti and you know what thanks to me buying a big power supply i wont need to buy a bigger power supply and a video card do you understand my point? (You probably wont haha)
January 9, 2013 5:00:57 PM

By the way never EVER buy a cheapo power supply lets say you have a top of the line rig and a $40 power supply from who knows where and BOOM power surge, Your cheapo power supply dident have over voltage or under voltage protection, and there goes your i7 your GTX 680 and everything else because you cheaped out on the most important thing in the pc.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2013 5:19:36 PM

You obviously can get away with the cheap 600w unit you have. The only issue is if it goes belly up on you, it can take half your system with it. For now, in the essence of saving money I'd opt for: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . Plenty of wattage, nice up front cost and MiR of 20 dollars.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2013 5:24:31 PM

To add to what tehhijack said... Cheap power supplies are just that... Cheap regardless of their rated output. Will the cheapo unit you have work? Probably. Will it cause problems? Not all that likely, but it does happen and it isn't a good situation. It isn't worth the risk IMHO. I tend to like the hardware I purchase...

If your goals are short sighted (get this rig running for six months), then consider the Antec 450w and don't look back. If you want to use this PSU in a future build, you are going to need to consider what type of rig you want to build. A single "high end" GPU typically means a 650w PSU. Dual "high end" GPUs usually dictate an 850w (or maybe a 750w). Consider your goals carefully, stick with the four brands mentioned above, and you will be fine.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2013 5:51:24 PM

sadams04 said:
To add to what tehhijack said... Cheap power supplies are just that... Cheap regardless of their rated output. Will the cheapo unit you have work? Probably. Will it cause problems? Not all that likely, but it does happen and it isn't a good situation. It isn't worth the risk IMHO. I tend to like the hardware I purchase...

If your goals are short sighted (get this rig running for six months), then consider the Antec 450w and don't look back. If you want to use this PSU in a future build, you are going to need to consider what type of rig you want to build. A single "high end" GPU typically means a 650w PSU. Dual "high end" GPUs usually dictate an 850w (or maybe a 750w). Consider your goals carefully, stick with the four brands mentioned above, and you will be fine.

Looking at the wattage requirements on what would generally considered a high end system, 3570k cpu, z77 mb, 16gb ram and 1tb storage drive with a 240gb ssd with a geforce 680 it's coming out to less than 400w. Going SLI only puts it at 590. I'd say you'd be fairly well off with a good 650w psu if that's something you think might be in your future.

Going with a 7970 video card ups it to 470w and 740w in crossfire though.
!