Sign in with
Your question

New build / fan positioning / airflow tips?

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2013 3:28:02 PM

I am building a new rig and the most practical place for my H80i radiator is the rear vent. Corsair recommends that fans pull air IN... so... that reverses the typical airflow of a system.

Now I'm wondering where to put my fans and how to orient them for optimum airflow. I have a Corsair PSU at the bottom of my Define R4 case but I'm unsure if it's venting or pulling air in. (I haven't powered on the system yet).

I also have two 140mm intake fans at the font which I'm thinking should be reversed to vent? Or should I get another 140mm for one of the two top vents?
January 9, 2013 3:49:40 PM

I recommend you have it blow out of the case normally. 2x front fans in, h80 +2x roof fans out. The PSU should suck air in from the bottom of the case and exhaust it out the back, thus being insulated from the airflow of the rest of the case.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:42:26 PM

Thanks... that seems to be the advice. I bought an extra Noctua 140mm fan which I'll use for additional intake somewhere. Positive pressure = good, negative pressure = bad.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 9:34:35 PM

Not really but whatever you prefer.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:45:40 PM

What's your philosophy on in vs. out volume?
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:41:58 PM

That is a big can of worms you'v just opened. Positive vs Negative case pressure is a well debated topic, and no clear winner has come out of it. It largely does come down to personal preference.

In a nuteshell it comes down to this.
Positive Pressure
- Less dust in the case

Negative Pressure
- Slightly better temps.

And even that's fairly subjective to what case your using, what cooling solution you have and the hardware you have. I personally have a Positive pressure system, just because I have to clean it less and the way my cooling is set up, I want a lot of airflow out the top vent through a triple radiator.
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:57:25 PM

Interesting... well I have an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 -- which apparently attracts a lot of dust -- so I suppose a positive pressure system would be better for me. I have a 3770K and an H80i cooler.
m
l
January 10, 2013 4:12:03 AM

I have a negative pressure system with filters.
m
l
!