Dell XPS 8300 Graphics Card Upgrade?

G

Hello everyone, I am new to upgrading my machine but i know my way around and i have a question. I own a Dell XPS 8300 and my current graphics card is a AMD HD 6450. I like to game and this card is not very good. I was searching around and i was wondering if this would fit my machine:

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11202-00-20G/dp/B007B5V614/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353860544&sr=1-1&keywords=hd+7750

My PSU is very crappy so i know i'll have to get a new one? 125V from what i checked. All your help will be greatly appreciated.

oakcatton

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
It problably will fit, ive got a 6670 from saphire and it looks very similar to that, so i know the size, and it's small!:p

You should get a power supply, but don't be pulled into anything like a 700W Power supply for 15 quid, get a 500w for about 50-60$

G

Thanks for you input. How does the card run? Graphically of course.

G

Thanks for that pretty powerful piece for the price. Do you think 7750 at 85$ after rebate would be worth it? considering the 7770 is at 115$ after rebate... Thank you for your help mate.

G

would the card fit into my xps 8300?

MC_K7

Distinguished
Here is Tom's Hardware graphics cards hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

*** Edit ***: If you have the 460W power supply that comes with most XPS 8300 you should be ok in term of power and it looks like it comes with 2 x 6-pin PCI-E power connectors as well. So I wouldn't upgrade the PSU if I were you. Dell makes quality power supplies, they're just very conservative with the numbers, so if they say it's 460W it means it really is and maybe more. Some cheap PSU makers will have the opposite, like advertise 600W but when pushed beyond 450W it catches fire, lol! By the way GPU makers also tend to exaggerate the requirements of their card just not to take any chance, so when AMD states that a 7770 requires at least a 500W PSU it doesn't need that much power really, you should be more than fine with 460W.

The 7770 should give a decent 1920 x 1080 gaming experience, but at 1366 x 768 you'll be able to play everything with max settings. If you're on a tight budget, the 7750 would be a viable option too, but personally I'd spend a later more on a 7770 just to have a little more headroom for future games.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I am a Dell XPS 8300 owner as well, and I am using the HD 6770 as I ordered with the computer. It's way larger than your card, so a HD 7770 should be nothing comparing to the length of the HD 6770. It should fit your case. I measure the case last time, and I believe it have about 10 inch of length for your PCIE cards.

G

Thanks you all. For a person who mentioned my CPU Intel i have Intel i5 2320. Honestly i don't know the power wattage. On the tag it says "~10A 125V "
I will prob go for a 7770 since it seems better bang for buck. Can you tell me what the PSU label means.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45-50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, many of them lack the Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, to take into account those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Dell XPS 8300 460 Watt OEM Power Supply Unit, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps and with two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition.