Nvidia 690 overkill?

Vid Nikolic

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
So, my question, is Nvidia 690 overkill for 1920x1080, 1080p resolution? And thats max it will ever be used, on 1 screen, 60hz tv probably, maybe a computer monitor, but still same resolution and refresh rate, and it will be used just for gaming, nothing else.
But, as it is a clear answer "yes", I know its just now, but since I have money for it, I was thinking to get something as futureproof as I can. So, as I said, I know its an overkill now, but do you think it will be an overkill in like, year or 2 when games start getting more demanding? Or will it be one of those cards that just never get used to its full potential just because they are used on that resolution, and when they become obsolete, they still can't push good frames because they are meant for higher res or multi-monitor setup?

Card in particular that I saw is this one since its only one that they get in my country, in every shop :) :
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4205#ov

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
A GTX 670 or it's AMD equivalent will max out all those games for a while to come. And when they do start to get more demanding, the price will have dropped significantly, so just pick up a second card to SLI or Crossfire.

It is the best option, and the cheapest option.

First there is no such thing as future proofing.Second of all if you want to spend less and get dam near same performance get two non reference 670's and enjoy violently murdering all current games.

MC_K7

Distinguished
In short, yes it is overkill for a 1920 x 1080 resolution. Instead of spending 1000$ on a video card, you could spend just 400$ (like a 670 or Radeon 7970) and get similar results. Unless you're gaming on 3 monitors, there's no need for a 690. Even if you were gaming on a single 2560 x 1600 monitor, a GTX-680 would be more than enough.

Hes trying to future proof which i can understand the problem with that though is it does not exist.

Even GTX 660 is maxing everything at the moment, so yes it is overkill.

If you really want the high-end GPUs then go as suggested for either GTX 670 or Radeon 7970, both great Cards. :)

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I understand - just as we all would like a good bit of future-proofing.

Remember, a 690 = 2 x 680 hard-wired. This is SLI, and with this we have questions of:

- SLI profiles for your current and future games....you need to take this into account, though nvidia are very good at updating this.

- micro-stuttering (nvidia 690 does have additional tech to help 'reduce' this built-in.....you need to research this to see if you are happy with how this works)

So, what currently - if anything - would stretch a 690 at 1080p?

---> pretty much nothing :) at the moment!

---> do check the latest benchmark/review sites e.g. tom's for the added info they provide, and especially check out games that stretch current cards e.g. metro.

Yes, I think we can all agree a $1000 card will give you an 'acceptable' length of future-proofing. Is it - currently - overkill? possibly?....for current games.

You should reconsider a higher res monitor / >1 monitors. You could also find out any future plans from the red and green camps.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Sure a 690 is as "future proof" as you can get (if such a term exists). But I'm just thinking he might be better served by a 670 or 7970 right now, and then in 2 years upgrade for a 870 or 9970 for example. And these 2 upgrades will cost less than a 1000$ video card and give similar or better results. The only way I could recommend a 690 for a 1080p resolution is if he really doesn't want to upgrade his card for the next 5 years or something, but replacing a video card in a system is fairly easy so I don't see why he wouldn't or couldn't do it.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
The thing with the 690 is that while it kicks ass atm, it is overkill at 1080p, and when it gets to the point where its no longer overkill, 7970CF is cheaper and faster.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Absolutely agreed, to a large extent, blibba and MC-K7.

We would all like to halt the constant upgrade battle we are all accustomed to, for as long as we can. However, taking account of his own current and projected finances, this is pretty much a personal choice. Only the OP has this additional info to make the call. I think none of us would turn down the current ultimate single gfx card, but yes, there are future, cheaper SLI options.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
GTX 670/7950 is the most you need for 1080p. I just got a 2560x1440 monitor and although my games still are playable at this resolution, having a second 670 in SLI wouldn't hurt.

Vid Nikolic

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks to the people with constructive arguments against, it seems like everyone is against. :p
Well, here is the deal, I live in a country where not so much people can afford that things. In fact, there is only one store in the whole country that actually has said card. So, even the less expensive ones, like said 670, 7970 or 680 are out of the question for most people. And, that's why I want to buy something good and future proof (and I know there i such a thing. You can get a card for less money that will max anything NOW, but when next good thing comes out, it cant deal with it and I have to change), and, problem with change is that I don't have what to do with card that I'm changing since it will be so hard to sell it, even if I don't overprice it when I try to sell it. :)
But ok, seems like 7970 or 680 would be a good choice, and when it starts to weaken, I can always buy another and sli/crossfire. Thats about 2 years of full max everything to say boldly? :)
Anyhow, whats the news for next nvidia/ati generation. I know ati is going to do something at start of 2013 since someone answered in a thread here, but whats up with that? :)
Thank you for your answers, I am only asking since I don't have that much experience, and even though I have money, I don't want to invest in something that I did not think through. :hello:

If you had a monitor @1440p 120hz or triple monitor and a case with a side window then i really would've recommended the 690 gtx, but with a monitor @1080p 60hz is just a waste of $, like they said the best choice is the 670 2GB oc(EVGA ftw model or MSI Power edition).
For 2013 there will be the amd 8xxx series.

:lol: i agree.

forr3zt

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Unless you are dying for the bragging rights to say that you have a 690, just get a 680 or a 7970 Ghz editon and spend the rest on another monitor!
Lol
:D

Vid Nikolic

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

Hmm another monitor would not do me and my big hdtv any good.:)
As i said at start, I am sure I will play on it since it's big and good quality, I am not the man for triple setups or whatever. Give me a big tv all day long.:)
As I said, its not like I'm on budget, so there is no need for "buy that and buy another that with money you save". I can buy 690, and monitors, or whatever. I just buy computer to play not to brag, and I know how hard it is to earn money and how easy to spend it, so I want to think about my decision. I might wait for the next 8xxx amd cards, maybe its the best choice since I can always play my xbox in the meantime. But if i were to buy now, you got me, I would go for 7970 ghz edition, and I can always crossfire when it gets weaker... 670 is not my choice since its about the same price as 7970 in my country, but I think 7970 is so much better choice for the money.