Tower gets hot

Wolveman72

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
My tower gets out a lot while on ( does not matter if 5 minutes or 1 hour plus).

System:

-Operating System: Windows XP Professional
-Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor, MMX, 3DNow (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
-Memory: 3320MB RAM
-Motherboard: Asus Crosshair formula IV
- Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870
-Hard Drive: 1T

Wolveman72

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Is your case placed where it can give enough breathing room? Has an intake fan / exhaust out the back?

Yes there is plenty of room for intake/exhaust.
Is it maybe my power supply is too strong? or do i need a newer type of cooling system?

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
What are the Temps on your rig while running?

I have the same processor, and the Heat Sync and fan that comes with it is sht. I still use it but I got a front fan blowing fresh air in, 2 fans on the side blowing air out for my video card and PSU. then a top fan and back fan blowing air out. That way it stays relativly cool, but out of all the fans, the only 1 i can really hear working hard
is the 1 for the cpu, Eventually I want to get a new Heat sync and fan for it. Make sure your cables are not blocking your air flow.

When I was up north in NY, in the summer time the sucker would get hot as heck, but wasn't over heating, but I did certainly have 1 hot room, sicne the room was small. In the winter it was a nice little room heater lol.

Edit: You might want to invest in a bigger case, with better airflow.

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Well you are running a little hot, standard being like 50-60. I am in the process of getting my PC back up, So I can't compare it to mine atm.

your GPU is made to run at 100C+ while gaming.

Whats the stress on your pc when you start it. Like are you running alot of programs at start up?

you can open up Task manager and see the usage on it, you can also find programs that can edit what starts up on your pc when you turn it on.

Zeal514

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
OIC, I thought you meant your side panel has Fans on it and it is off. Does your side panel have a opening on it, with fans?

The fan blowing on it, is just blowing the hot air from the cpu and GPu, right back in. Try turning the fan so it blows the hot air out, and your front fan is blowing cool air in.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
All of these questions could have been answered with a single picture of the inside of the case :D.

@OP please take a pic. They can provide further instruction with one instead of so much guessing. Even thou a tech installed it doesn't necessarily mean that he installed it properly. :/ sadly ive even seen HP support guys come work on a server and put a heatsink back on a proc without cleaning and re applying. A big no no... as it can create air pockets and do exactly the opposite of what the thermal paste is designed to do.

dark905

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
i am pretty sure it is overheating because the thermal paste wasn't cleaned / reapplied properly but dont know if they did it correctly thats the thing lol. If its running at 70+ on idle.

dark905

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I don't see any case fans in the picture that your showing me so im assuming that there are no case fans right? Cuz theres a fan grill at the back with no exhaust fan in the case so that could be one of the reasons why its overheating but I don't think that your cpu temp can be sitting at 70C idle just with that. I'm pretty sure the guy that reapplied the thermal paste didnt clean it properly or put in too much paste.