Sign in with
Your question

Tower gets hot

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2013 6:33:17 PM

My tower gets out a lot while on ( does not matter if 5 minutes or 1 hour plus).

System:

-Operating System: Windows XP Professional
-Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor, MMX, 3DNow (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
-Memory: 3320MB RAM
-Motherboard: Asus Crosshair formula IV
- Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870
-Hard Drive: 1T

More about : tower hot

January 9, 2013 6:59:46 PM

Have you tried cleaning your components and reapplying thermal paste onto the cpu?
January 9, 2013 7:20:58 PM

Quote:
Have you tried cleaning your components and reapplying thermal paste onto the cpu?

Yes i have tried that :( 
Related resources
January 9, 2013 7:42:54 PM

What about the air flow in the case?
January 9, 2013 7:50:57 PM

I have the side panel off, fan blowing 4 feet away blowing on it and window open with cool air coming in ( winter time here in Canada ).
January 9, 2013 8:04:36 PM

Is your case placed where it can give enough breathing room? Has an intake fan / exhaust out the back?
January 9, 2013 8:08:41 PM

Quote:
Is your case placed where it can give enough breathing room? Has an intake fan / exhaust out the back?

Yes there is plenty of room for intake/exhaust.
Is it maybe my power supply is too strong? or do i need a newer type of cooling system?
January 9, 2013 8:15:19 PM

What case do you have? I dont think a power supply can cause overheating. Did you apply a thin layer of thermal paste by the way?
January 9, 2013 8:20:15 PM

Dell Case, was a Computer Tech that put everything in it so i am thinking then put enough thermal in.
January 9, 2013 8:22:23 PM

What are the Temps on your rig while running?

I have the same processor, and the Heat Sync and fan that comes with it is sht. I still use it but I got a front fan blowing fresh air in, 2 fans on the side blowing air out for my video card and PSU. then a top fan and back fan blowing air out. That way it stays relativly cool, but out of all the fans, the only 1 i can really hear working hard
is the 1 for the cpu, Eventually I want to get a new Heat sync and fan for it. Make sure your cables are not blocking your air flow.

When I was up north in NY, in the summer time the sucker would get hot as heck, but wasn't over heating, but I did certainly have 1 hot room, sicne the room was small. In the winter it was a nice little room heater lol.

Edit: You might want to invest in a bigger case, with better airflow.
January 9, 2013 8:23:43 PM

Are the cables / cords tucked away nicely; that could give better airflow inside the case?
January 9, 2013 8:24:34 PM

Yeppers as best as they can be tucked away nicely
January 9, 2013 9:22:02 PM

Quote:
What are the Temps on your rig while running?

77 C ( 168 F ) = Processor
75 C (166 F) = THRM
75 C (166 F) = TMPIN0
50 C (121 F) = TMPIN1

Sorry was gone for dinner
January 9, 2013 9:29:39 PM

Well you are running a little hot, standard being like 50-60. I am in the process of getting my PC back up, So I can't compare it to mine atm.

your GPU is made to run at 100C+ while gaming.

Whats the stress on your pc when you start it. Like are you running alot of programs at start up?

you can open up Task manager and see the usage on it, you can also find programs that can edit what starts up on your pc when you turn it on.
January 9, 2013 9:46:11 PM

CPU Usage is 3%

Don't forget this side panels off, fan blowing on it, window totally open blowing on it..
January 9, 2013 9:49:19 PM

OIC, I thought you meant your side panel has Fans on it and it is off. Does your side panel have a opening on it, with fans?

The fan blowing on it, is just blowing the hot air from the cpu and GPu, right back in. Try turning the fan so it blows the hot air out, and your front fan is blowing cool air in.
January 9, 2013 9:57:45 PM

All of these questions could have been answered with a single picture of the inside of the case :D .

@OP please take a pic. They can provide further instruction with one instead of so much guessing. Even thou a tech installed it doesn't necessarily mean that he installed it properly. :/  sadly ive even seen HP support guys come work on a server and put a heatsink back on a proc without cleaning and re applying. A big no no... as it can create air pockets and do exactly the opposite of what the thermal paste is designed to do.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2013 10:01:10 PM

Did HWmon give you core temps. sometimes the thermal sensors are not that good.

Depending on the case is made of, it nay feel warm, but not be an issue. 70+(77) cpu looks to be HOT.
January 9, 2013 10:07:57 PM

i am pretty sure it is overheating because the thermal paste wasn't cleaned / reapplied properly but dont know if they did it correctly thats the thing lol. If its running at 70+ on idle.
January 9, 2013 10:15:05 PM

The side panels are just normal ones with no vent. How do i post a pic of the comp.
January 9, 2013 10:34:51 PM

Wolveman72 said:
The side panels are just normal ones with no vent. How do i post a pic of the comp.

upload the image to http://tinypic.com/ and post the img url.
January 9, 2013 10:52:47 PM

Wolveman72 said:
Ok thank you, here is the pic of Comp.

http://tinypic.com/r/10yqm1v/6

I don't see any case fans in the picture that your showing me so im assuming that there are no case fans right? Cuz theres a fan grill at the back with no exhaust fan in the case so that could be one of the reasons why its overheating but I don't think that your cpu temp can be sitting at 70C idle just with that. I'm pretty sure the guy that reapplied the thermal paste didnt clean it properly or put in too much paste.
January 9, 2013 10:58:07 PM

Correct there is no case fan, wasn't one when i got the tower case. OK so if i purchased a case fan that would help out with the heating problem?
January 9, 2013 11:17:24 PM

ok Thank you...once i get a case fan should i be able to place panels back on and close window and turn of portable fan off?
January 9, 2013 11:22:56 PM

Wolveman72 said:
ok Thank you...once i get a case fan should i be able to place panels back on and close window and turn of portable fan off?

Should be good to go.

Edited my post earlier since you might want to reapply thermal paste since I don't know if that techsupport guy did it right. You need at least 70% rubbing alcohol (takes a bit longer to dry), use a paper towel or coffee filter.
January 9, 2013 11:30:43 PM

Ok good.

The Tech guy was a buddy of mine and i was there in the same house when he did it but i was not there for when he did the thermal. I'll ask him once i see him to see how much was use and if we should re-apply some.
January 9, 2013 11:49:05 PM

Wolveman72 said:
Ok good.

The Tech guy was a buddy of mine and i was there in the same house when he did it but i was not there for when he did the thermal. I'll ask him once i see him to see how much was use and if we should re-apply some.

If its possible to unbolt / unscrew the hard drive, you could screw it in parallel below the optical drive to give more room inside the case.
January 10, 2013 12:12:30 AM

Maximum operating temperature 55°C - 62°C under full load for the 1090 T,your way too hot there.I would go aftermarket cooling on it.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X6%...(HDT90ZFBGRBOX).html

there was also an issue with the crosshair IV,where the northbridge heatsink didnt fully contact the northbridge chipset causing high temps there also.the fix I found when I had that board was to remove it and file the standoffs down to all the same length.try Google and it may still be out there,after that I just loved that board.

found it,scroll down about 3/4 of the way to see the issue:
http://www.overclock.net/t/682489/official-asus-crossha...
January 10, 2013 12:41:48 AM

I'd get a new Case man, that case is really cramped, that heat has no where to go. you need something bigger.

I got a NZXT phantom case that came with case fans. Like Earnie said a after market Heatsync and fan would really help that CPU keep cool.
!