Sign in with
Your question

What's a good defragmenter

Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2002 10:55:54 PM

for Win98? Thanks.

More about : good defragmenter

January 8, 2002 12:54:52 AM

I tried several others besides the win98 defrag. In every case it seemed the win98 defrag outdid them. Explanation; after running them i would run the win98 version and it would find holes that they missed. Now i haven't tried them all but hopefully someone here has a better answer cause i'd like to know myself .
January 8, 2002 1:32:53 AM

A:\format C: :smile:

The Windows defragmenting tool works fine for something that's free. I don't want to buy something else!
Related resources
January 8, 2002 3:49:03 AM

When I was running 98se I found the best was Norton Speed Disk. It also defrags and moves the
cache file to the fastest part of the disk.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:
January 8, 2002 4:22:07 AM

i've tried a couple others, but i won't use anything other than diskeeper on my drives!

[insert philosophical statement here]
January 8, 2002 4:25:23 AM

Will it work on W2k/XP?

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:
January 8, 2002 4:34:11 AM

yes, i run win2000, been using it for a few years now.

January 8, 2002 4:35:53 AM

Thanks. I am going to check it out. Norton System Works 2002 does not do well with NTFS.

January 8, 2002 4:43:00 AM

nope. i used norton's once (first time installing nt4). gawd that was an awful mistake. dunno if it was the file system or software license but i got bsod, lock ups, crashes. was not pretty :( 

January 8, 2002 4:49:12 AM

Their anti-virus seems to work good now but thats about it.
Oh well, live and learn.

!