Holy crap, why me?

G

Holy crap, why must this happen to me? Well see, I originally had Windows 98 SE then installed Windows 2000 Professional, since 98 sucks. I wanted to upgrade to Windows XP but when I installed from the cd, I didn't realize I just put two systems in my harddrive. So I went to download the bootup disk from microsoft and made the 6 floppy disks you need. I wanted to delete the partition so there was only windows xp in my harddrive and everything was looking good until I went downstairs to get a drink and came up and realize my harddrive just blew up. It kept making a clicking noise, and pretty much it died. Geesh, no more 40GB harddrive for me. See how unstable installing xp can be?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Dude, I feel your pain. I just lost my 30GB 75GXP. Although I was anticipating it, I wish I didn't have to deal with it. Now, I have to go through the suffering of shipping it to IBM, and waiting for a replacement (which I hope will be good). And, it wasn't installing Windows XP that messed it up. It was just a coincedence that it happened during your OS makeover.

For future reference, the Windows XP CD is bootable. Enable your BIOS to check the CDROM before your HD, and you should be set. Unless you have an old BIOS, there shouldn't be a need to make six floppies.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A>-<b>reorganized</b> & updated everyday

G

Well the thing is this cd is isn't the actual cd, it's a copied one. Thats why the computer won't boot it up from the cd.

Are you by chance trying to boot from a SCSI CD-ROM?
I had the same problem... I had to borrow an IDE CD-ROM from work to get the XP disc to boot. It refused to boot from my Plextors.. they boot other discs just fine. I really don't know what the problem is or how to get it to work.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>