Upgrading - or, how I complicate an easy question

Graeme404

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
So I've got a few questions really. But lets start off with what I recently got.
Right so with the recent Black Friday sale I got myself two nice pieces for my upgrading at a great price.

~ i7 2700k for $199.99
~ ASROCK Z77 extreme for $104.99

What I already have

~ windows 7 professional
~ 16 gigs of ram ddr3
~ water cooling unit from Kuhler
~ 1000 wat power supply
~ 60 gb SSD, corsair
~ 500 gb hybrid drive, 7200rpm, integrated SSD tech, Seagate
~ 3 screens, (left to right) 1280x1024 LCD Star Logic, 1680x1050 LCD flatron L206WU, 1600x900 LED flatron E2040T
~dvd drive, two hard drive bays for my 1TB hard drives (got 2), other standard computer stuff...

Obviously I'm making a gaming rig here so, ya, I know even the 550 ti will play the games well but should I get something with more "umph"?

If its advisable I'd also like to know if I should get rid of the other screens and just get one bigger one? Like an LED TV since that would be cheaper, or is that somehow a bad idea?

Should I be running my OS all the SSD or the 500gb hybrid?

Do I need that monster of a power supply?

In summery I would like some advise on how to set this baby up. Help?

luis94uk

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
550-ti : currently using mine with a FX 6300 , when gaming my 6300 usually never go's above 65% , the graphics card bottle necks hard so i would definitely recommend getting a more powerful card. a 660ti i would recommend but it depends on your budget

for screen i would recommend a 1920:1080 23/4" , they cost around £120 in the uk for a decent screen so they are not that expensive

on the SSD for sure . will have your computer loading extremely fast

its not needed but its nice to have a high wattage power supply just so that you have room to upgrade. whether it be for future proofing or encase you want to go SLI/XFIRE with another graphics card which will ofc take more power

hopefully that's the information you need.

Don't get a TV for gaming. Trust me, their input lag is horrendous. You should, however, get a 1920x1080.

When you're done with that, you should get a decent graphics card. Depending on how much you'd want to spend, I'd recommending either getting GTX 660 if you don't want to spend much, or GTX 670 if you want to have a card that will max out almost anything.

GTX 660 would be around 2.5 times as fast as your GTX 550 ti, while GTX 670 would be 3 times faster.

Graeme404

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

I don't actually have the 550 ti, I've actually just have the 5770 HD, it sucks nuf' said.

Right so I'll follow that advice about the TV vs Monitor, should I make it a point of getting 120 hertz? Or is that even an issue when Monitors are involved? About the 3 screens that I have, would that bottleneck the video card I'd get? Should I only have the one good monitor?

As for the video card itself, I'm seriously considering the gtx 670 overcloaked, or would the gtx 670 standard work just fine?

120 Hertz is useful if you want to go 3D - and in that case you should go with Nvidia 3D vision 2 monitor. People say 3D gaming is very nice, and if you can afford it, you should get it.

More monitors are not an issue. GTX 670 supports up to 4 of them simultaneously. It will not slow the card down.

Lastly, overclocked edition isn't very important, because you can overclock it yourself, just make sure to get a card with a good cooler (like MSI Power edition or Asus Direct CU II).