Does the video card need to match the ouput?

dezalt

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hello,

I am planning on buying a new video card, but I am completely messed up with this PCI Express x16 thing. Because in the store there are different kinds of these outputs. For example PCI Express 2.0 x16 or PCI Express 2.1 x16 or PCI Express 3.0 x16. My friend said that it doesn't really matter, but then what is the point of making the outputs different. So, my question is, do the video cards need to match those three or not? And also, what other things I should consider before buying a video card?

Thank you.

Solution
If you currently have a Radeon 6670 what are you looking at upgrading to? Your PSU (assumption) is probably something just thrown in by the computer manufacturer just to keep the PC running.

You would need to upgrade your PSU if you wanted to upgrade your Video Card to actually see some performance improvements.

The PSU is, in my opinion, the most crucial component when looking at a new build or upgrading.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
The PCIE bus is the same whether it's 1.x or 3.0. Video Cards are backwards compatible. As far as output go, it all depends on what your monitor has. Most video cards will come with a DVI to VGA adapter if all your monitor has is VGA. Otherwise use HDMI or Display Port.

As far as which model of Video Card to get greatly depends on your budget, what's available at your store, what your PC specs are and what kind of PSU you have.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Open the case and the PSU will have a sticker on the side of it. Three things matter, Brand, Wattage & Amps on the +12V rail.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
PCI Express is basically an data and power interface between video card and motherboard. those numbers (1.0, 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0) are mostly concerned about bandwidth of this interface. Basically, 3.0 provides twice the bandwidth of equivalent 2.0. For now id doesn't really matter, because 2.0 provides sufficient bandwidth. They are compatible with each other, (the only exception may be 2.1 card for 1.0 slot in some cases). So, 3.0 card will work in 2.0/2.1 slot, and 2.1/2.0 card will work in 3.0 slot.

PSU: open your case and check powersupply for labels.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
As I said, you need to open your case and look at the sticker on the side of the PSU. You need to know the Brand, Wattage & Amps on the +12V rail.

That's the most important thing.

Also, what are your PC specs? CPU, RAM, current video card

zdbc13

Distinguished
Read the details on the sticker on the side of the power supply and post them so we can see how many watts on your 12 volt rail and what brand it is. Very important information for us to make recommendations.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
If you currently have a Radeon 6670 what are you looking at upgrading to? Your PSU (assumption) is probably something just thrown in by the computer manufacturer just to keep the PC running.

You would need to upgrade your PSU if you wanted to upgrade your Video Card to actually see some performance improvements.

The PSU is, in my opinion, the most crucial component when looking at a new build or upgrading.

Solution