SB Audigy XGamer Help

G

Does anyone know if there is a way and how to hook up speakers and a pair of headphones into the card.
Thanks in adveance for your help:)

FatBurger

Illustrious
What kind of output are you using for the speakers? You might be able to do it, but you'd have to switch between them in the software when you wanted to change. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

I have analog speakers and regular headphones, I want to be able to use the headphones for playing games but turn on the speakers when I'm not playing.

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Heh heh heh . . . this is kinda funny, 'cuz I don't know what the <b>hell</b> I was thinking when I tried this, but it works (and my wife thanks me for it!).

I had plugged one of those 1/8" mini stereo Y-connecters with 1 input and 2 outputs (that you can buy at Radio Hack for a few bucks) into my front speaker output on my SB Live!. My speakers were always connected, but I would only plug in my headphones when needed. I guess I got lazy, or was otherwise whacked out of my gourd (like I am 50% of the time), but I moved the Y-connector to the other end of the speaker cord, so that the signal input was now going into the output of the Y (y'know, 2 sources to 1 device), then plugged the output into the speakers.

Here was the crazy part (or genius, as it were) . . . I plugged my heaphones into the other now "input" tail that was just hanging there. Amazingly enough (or maybe not), it worked.

I guess wire is wire is wire, and the signal will flow if it has someplace to go. I don't seem to have any loss (I am using Memorex Studio headphones, don't remember the model, and they have great sound with great bass in this config). I can plug them in when I want (since the connection is now just behind my right speaker instead of behind the case on the floor), and keep the power to my speakers turned off, and the only complaints I hear are re: the difficulty it is to get my attention. :wink:

Hope this helps!

VSP

<i> Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b> nwod </b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT </i>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
One more thing, I can either leave the mixer in 2 speaker mode or switch it to headphone mode, and there is not much difference with the headphones. There is a big difference with the speakers, though. Speakers in headphone mode sounds like they are sitting 5 feet behind my monitor. :tongue:

VSP

<i> Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b> nwod </b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT </i>