Unable to install PC Card Wireless driver onto XP Pro with..

I had to replace the hard disk on my Toshiba laptop. I re-installed Windows
XP Pro from the Toshiba rescue CD set. Then I added all my apps and drivers.
Finally I installed XP Service Pack 2 and some anti spam and anti virus
software. I downloaded with all the latest Microsoft patches and restored
all my data.

Finally I realised that I had not installed my Wireless network PCMCIA card
and drivers. Unfortunately when it came to installing the drivers I keep
getting the following set of messages:

"There was a problem installing this hardware

802.11g.........

An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The system cannot find the file specified."

This same message comes up with two different Wireless network cards
(thought different driver is mentioned). Nowhere does it specify what file
cannot be found.

I tried following the KB841567 recommendation and tried to configure
Setupapi.log for verbose logging BUT when I rename Setupapi.log a new one
is not created following my attempt to install the driver.

It seems to be a permission issue in either the file system or the registry.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be blocking this driver.

I am thinking that I will have to trash the whole installation and install
the Wireless network card (which worked before I lost my hard disk) before
installing XP SP2. This is something of a desperate measure.

Checking the numerous other posts it seems that this error message can be
received for almost any hardware device. A possible problem might be that I
also ran a RegCleaner on this laptop. Seems that this type of software is
DANGEROUS.