Seeking Advice for New GPU, CPU, RAM, and possibly Mobo for Gaming Rig

citizensnips_

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: ~$600, cheaper is better (Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming. Probably getting a laptop for schoolwork, movie watching etc. This build is pretty much all gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) GPU, CPU, RAM, and maybe Motherboard. My PSU is an ancient AMS Model PP-5503 EPS (420W) that I got years and years ago. I tested the voltages of each pin on the 24-pin power plug with a multimeter yesterday, though, and everything was fine.

Do you need to buy OS: No. I have Windows 7 Ultimate.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Tiger Direct, or wherever I can get the cheapest parts.

Location: Nashville, TN. Not many good stores around my area. No Fry's or anything like that.

Parts Preferences: No preference, though I like the Gigabyte motherboard that I have now.

Overclocking: I'd like to if I wasn't afraid I'd screw it up. Link me to a good Tom's guide?

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. What are the benefits?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080p

Additional Comments: I play a lot of League of Legends and Starcraft II as well as a fair number of RPGS (everything from Diablo III to the Mass Effect series). Play FPS's every now and then if I find one I really like (been thinking about getting Borderlands 2). Planning on getting a smaller Macintosh laptop, as mentioned above.

Are any of my current specs still viable with today's gaming needs?
Current mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2
PSU: see above

Pretty sure my GPU and CPU have finally died on me / can't handle gaming, but I'd like to save some money if possible by keeping the motherboard, though I'm open to buying a new one.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Computer shuts down without warning. Pinpointed the problem to being with the GPU and CPU, so those definitely need to be replaced. It's about time anyway. I've had this build since 2009.

Thanks!

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($217.55 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $612.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-09 19:03 EST-0500)