For Photoshop and Chief Architect (first time builder)

pdtofly

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Thank all of you for being so generous with your information. Using your collective knowledge I have put together a parts list for my build.

My computer is getting old and need to upgrade so I can use the latest Photoshop and Chief Architect and thought it would be fun to try to build my own computer. I will keep my current monitor (Dell 20” UltraSharp 2005FPW) but also add another for a two monitor set up.

Approximate Purchase Date: I am ready now, but before I put the cart before the course I was hoping to get some comments from you knowledgeable fellows.

Budget Range:: I have not thought about a budget just looking for performance/value and I hate junk. If it is worth buying it is worth buying correctly. I use my computer a lot and want it to be an enjoyable experience.

System Usage: from Most to Least Important: Mostly research on the web for projects like this one. The reason I need higher end components is to edit my pictures so they look professional (using Photo-shop) and to render images for the house I am planning on building. My son may game on it if he is lucky enough to find it unused.

Are you buying a monitor:: Yes the new DELL ULTRASHARP U2713H 27 inch and as stated will run it with my old monitor in a 2 monitor configuration

Do you need to buy OS:: I will make the plunge to windows 8 for good or bad.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:: New egg has been pretty helpful but I have not looked at there shipping policy to Alaska. Amazon is great for shipping here. Other than that I am open.

Parts Preferences:: None
Overclocking:: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: : No

So here is what I came up with. Please comment, any info will help.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($321.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB Video Card ($294.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($112.16 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Blue ATX Full Tower Case ($234.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($699.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3142.01 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-09 17:59 EST-0500)

Thanks.

To me it seems way overkill for a Photoshop machine, though that architectural rendering could have bumped up the requirements a fair bit.

Seagate offers a much cheaper 2TB drive that is actually a slight bit faster.
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200ROM. $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

That Intel SSD is a Sandforce controller drive, known for choking up when presented with inocmpressable data, which is exactly what youl be dealing with. There are beter drives out there with custom controllers.
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB. $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

You no longer need Proffessional to take advantage of more than 16GB of RAM, standard Windows 8 will be enough.

Unless you have a significant sound setup already, the sound card is pointless. On a pair of $50 headphones or speakers you wont notice the difference between a $20 sound card and a $100+.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
My experience with Windows 8 has been that of mine with Vista in it's initial release-unstable. It's a much better OS no doubt, but the instability can be a real issue. I'd also go for an M4 but that's just my preference. If you can, get 4x8GB instead as it will be a little bit faster and cheaper as well.

pdtofly

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for the info manofchalk. I switched out the SSD drive to the samsung.

The 2 tb I will also switch out.

Do you recommend adding an inexpensive sound card or none at all?

Overkill - oh well. That's not my biggest worry. Photoshop does take a lot and every new addition seems to take more.

pdtofly

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Montosaurous thanks for the input. What does it mean when the operating system is unstable? Is there a workaround? How much of a pain will it be?

Changing the RAM to 4x8 sounds like a good idea. It would also make it easier to upgrade to 32 down the road. The problem I am having is the sabertooth MOB QVL only list one 4x8 the:

Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR GT 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($394.99 @ Newegg)

The price is high. What do you suggest?

I recently added in an ASUS Xonar DGX (~$35) soundcard to my rig, using a Razer Carcharias headset. To be honest I havent noticed any improvement. It might just be that im not an audiophile or my headset isn't good enough to take advantage of it, but far as I can tell there isnt any benefit to a cheap sound card.

God no, just get any 4x8GB kit. The recommended RAM list is a guideline at best, any RAM that fits within the mobo's specs (DDR3, 1033-1866Mhz, <=1.5v) will work.
Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB 1600Mhz CL10 1.5v. $170
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233304

That Dominator RAM is pointlessly expensive, premium RAM just isnt needed anymore.

Though I dont see the point of having 32GB of RAM on a Photoshop machine. Thats more than most video editing rigs get.