Computer/Graphics Overheating Problem?

infraction

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hello, I have an ongoing case of overheating where my screen blacks out and audio goes on a loop until I restart my computer.

This usually happens after 10-15 minutes of playing black ops 2 on high (which isn't the highest performance setting). This also happens a lot quicker when the ambient of my room is hotter than normal.

I kept an eye on my core temps before my screen blacks out and it was at 55-60 degrees C. When i'm idling, it stays at a constant 35-40.
However, when I take out my side panel and put a external fan in front this problem does not present itself at all.

I tried my best to keep clear of the dust and zip tied all wires so it wouldn't hinder too much of the air flow.

I was thinking of adding more case fans (I only have one as of this moment) and replacing the heatsink/cpu fan.
Maybe a faulty component? Video card? Hard drive? I could really use some help, thanks in advance!

Zotk7

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hey there,
May sound silly, but here are a few questions to eliminate surface-level errors (hopefully).
Is the CPU fan running?
Are you using a stock cooler?
Have you ever replaced the thermal compound? If yes maybe you applied it incorrectly, if no perhaps you should look at buying a compound similar to Arctic Silver 5. It can be found for about 6 quid on amazon.
What are the temperature levels of the rest of your computer, is your GPU, mobo and HDD running at similar levels?
55-60°C isn't particularly hot under load, is your CPU/GPU overclocked and perhaps unstable?
With only 1 fan it might be worth getting a couple more, it might not be the cause of the problem but creating an airflow is never a bad idea!

infraction

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Yes, CPU fan is running & I am using a stock cooler.
The last time I replaced thermal paste was probably 6-7 months ago, I was thinking of reapplying and seeing what happens though.
The temps are overall pretty similar.
I am definitely looking into more fans, thanks for the suggestions!

Specs are:
BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7 875k @ 2.93 GHz
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+
G.SKILL 8GB DDR3
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU

Here's link to graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130420