Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I am trying to build my first real PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 12:15:56 AM

EDIT: no longer care about the case, just want one with plenty of fans and room for upgrades...THANKS :D 

Approximate Purchase Date: whenever the money is there

Budget Range: Strictly set at $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing, streaming video, photoshop/editing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com/ amazon.com

Location: St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Parts Preferences: Intel it 3750k, Nvidia card

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: want highest possible at good price

Additional Comments:

Why Are You Upgrading: Never had a gaming PC, need one

only decided on the CPU as of yet

don't save many big files, SSD may be good.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :D 

More about : build real

January 10, 2013 12:17:54 AM

do you need an os?
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 12:19:11 AM

jonjonjon said:
do you need an os?


nope, already have a windows 7 stick
m
0
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 12:23:04 AM

1.for a $1000 build a $100 case is just insane but hey not here to argue
2.if you won't be doing overclocking then why get 3570k
3.do you need windows 7
4.here is something to fit your needs http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wMq9
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 12:26:03 AM

devilofdeaths said:
1.for a $1000 build a $100 case is just insane but hey not here to argue
2.if you won't be doing overclocking then why get 3570k
3.do you need windows 7
4.here is something to fit your needs http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wMq9




I know the case is silly, but I LOVE it and will use it for future upgrades as well :kaola:  ...I may be doing slight overclocking, but nothing crazy
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 12:28:56 AM

Anonymous said:
I know the case is silly, but I LOVE it and will use it for future upgrades as well :kaola:  ...I may be doing slight overclocking, but nothing crazy

well in overclocking you kinda need to be a little crazy if you are going from 3.4Ghz(3570k stock)to 3.6 or 3.8Ghz you won't see that much of an improvement maybe 3fps at most
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 12:31:01 AM

devilofdeaths said:
well in overclocking you kinda need to be a little crazy if you are going from 3.4Ghz(3570k stock)to 3.6 or 3.8Ghz you won't see that much of an improvement maybe 3fps at most


okay, maybe to like 4...I have a friend who can help me with that...is this cooler good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

also, should I buy more case fans? my room swings with temp substantially as the insulation sucks and I live in south Florida...
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 12:34:33 AM

i agree on the case. i went with a cheaper case so i could add a better monitor, ssd and video card. i went over by $30 and it doesn't include a better cpu fan for overclocking. if thats too much you can drop down to a regular 660. you can hit 4.2GHz pretty easy only using the multiplier and without touching voltage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($19.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Zalman MZ240ED 24.0" Monitor ($139.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1029.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-09 21:30 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 12:44:05 AM

if you are set on getting that case and can't go over $1000 you could look at something like this.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($19.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Zalman MZ240ED 24.0" Monitor ($139.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $994.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-09 21:43 EST-0500)
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 12:46:31 AM

jonjonjon said:
i agree on the case. i went with a cheaper case so i could add a better monitor, ssd and video card. i went over by $30 and it doesn't include a better cpu fan for overclocking. if thats too much you can drop down to a regular 660. you can hit 4.2GHz pretty easy only using the multiplier and without touching voltage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($19.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Zalman MZ240ED 24.0" Monitor ($139.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1029.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-09 21:30 EST-0500)



I love this build, but realllly like that case...I also like the addition of the SSD...very much so in fact...do I need a heat sink? I was thinking about the hyper 212 plus...
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 1:23:30 AM

Hyper 212 Evo is better than the 212 Plus, looks almost identical, and is not much more expensive.
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 1:23:36 AM

jonjonjon said:
if you are set on getting that case and can't go over $1000 you could look at something like this.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($19.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Zalman MZ240ED 24.0" Monitor ($139.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $994.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-09 21:43 EST-0500)



Love it! Thank you SO much for your help! :D 
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 1:33:45 AM

Is the 660 good enough to run like BF3, MW3, Mass Effect, and Diablo at decent settings??

also, do I need more case fans? Or are the defaults good enough?
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 1:47:15 AM

jonjonjon said:
for what case? you can look there to see what fps you can expect between a 660 and the 660ti.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_HAWK/8.h...


sorry, should have specified...the NZXT :) 
also, wow not much difference on the GPUs, huh?
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 10:49:04 PM

I don't care about the case anymore, my friend convinced me that the GPU and storage options are more important :p 
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 10:55:52 PM

and are there any cheap monitors that have an HDMI?
m
0
l
!