Sign in with
Your question

Blinking Underscore, problems with fixmbr

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 12:20:18 AM

First post here, however I have used many posts on this site to help with different problems in the past. I have a custom build that was working up until yesterday. I took everything apart to do a full clean of the system and moved a fan to increase airflow where I need it. Here's my build:

AMD FX 6200 6-Core processor (Zambezi)
Antec Kuhler h2o 620 water cooler
ASUS M5A97 Evo Mobo
8G Mushkin RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX550Ti FPB
Cooler Master 500w PSU
120G Kingston SSD (Windows 8 Installed)
320G Western Digital HDD (Windows 7 Installed...Haven't gotten around to saving my data and removing the OS)

So, after installing everything back in the case I was getting the ASUS bios splash screen, followed by a blinking underscore. Reading up led me to believe that I had lost my boot sector. I have tried clearing the cmos by removing the battery for a number of minutes, and also swapping the jumper from the first two pins to the second two, and then back. Now I am getting my boot device LED that won't go off during POST, and don't have access to the BIOS anymore. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
January 10, 2013 12:36:36 AM

By the way, currently I am not getting any video when I try to boot up. Like I had stated previously, I was getting the ASUS splash screen and could enter into BIOS, just not load my OS. Now I can't even get into BIOS.
January 10, 2013 12:56:27 AM

Okay, so I'm stupid. I had only my HDMI cable plugged into the GPU and my TV. The TV was in sleep mode and wasn't showing my BIOS splash screen. Currently I have a monitor plugged in via VGA to the GPU. I can now access BIOS again, and have confirmed that my boot priority has my SSD on top. Is there any way to get a command line so I can run Fixmbr? I don't have a repair disc for windows 8 because it was a digital download. I'm sure I can find something and put it on a flash drive maybe? I want to get some advice before moving on.
!