Upgrade Intel HD Card for Gateway ne56r12u?

^^^

:lol:

With the exception of specific gaming laptops costing at least $1,500+, you cannot upgrade the graphics card. 99%+ of laptops sold have the graphics chip soldered onto the motherboard or have it integrated inside the CPU; like yours.

You need to return the laptop for a refund. Then look for a laptop with dedicated graphics (it will be soldered into the mobo) like the AMD Radeon HD 7670m or nVidia 640m LE.

americanbrian

Distinguished
You can double the power of the Graphics by upgrading your CPU from a pentium series to and "i" series. So basically if you get an i3 CPU it has the HD 3000 graphics baked onto it with double the execution cores.

These guys don't know what they are talking about. The GPU is on the CPU die with these things now so upgrading the CPU will also upgrade the GPU.

Your laptop has an HM70 express chipset which supports IB and SB mobile cpu's Anything up to the best i5 has the same TDP as your current one and the same socket.

Look around for the cheapest model on ebay, they are not always priced according to performance strictly....

Common seriously upgrading for a hd3000 its like polishing a turd, not to mention the trouble to change cpu for another, and in somes cases the mobos are customized changing the cpu could cause trouble if the newer cpu has a higher tdp.
Hell a cheap older laptop with 420m gt or 520m gt will beat that...

americanbrian

Distinguished
^^ I have checked the TDP's and up to the best i5 they are all 35W.

In the UK where I am based I have found really cheap i3 chips. It all depends on where you live and the prevailing prices.

For $25 (£17) you can double the performance... An HD 3000 will play pro evo soccer and the basic HD will not.

It is cheap. And upgrading a laptop CPU is a journey of discovery for the newbie. Totally worthwhile experience. If I can encourage someone to get there hands dirty and actually learn something then I think it is worth it.

Also, if he goes for a IB i5 that HD 4000 is actually not too bad for basic gaming. Totally cheaper then buying a new laptop.