Sign in with
Your question

How to lower ping ?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 5, 2012 7:02:31 AM

hi all,
i play online games but i get trouble with ping cuz most servers are american or european but i'ma Indian.
so can somebody plz guide how should i decrease it ?
i know many services in background sent data which increase ping , also i use xfire.
so plz tell me which services should i stop permanently & which while playing.
is there anyway to stop network services at the time of playing automatically ?
maybe something like a batch script or a program.
thnx

More about : lower ping

a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 7:17:39 AM

Don't have other programs using your connection, or other people in the house downloading things. you might be able to set up QoS(quality of service) on your router for the port the game uses to give it priority. worrying about background services isnt really going to help and I don't know what your internet connection situation is, but connecting to servers on the other side of the world pretty much always means poor ping. That's just how it goes.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 7:20:13 AM

the only way you will truly lower your ping is to decrease the amount of hops to these servers. More hops higher latency!
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 7:23:40 AM

those kinds of changes might make 5% difference. The vast majority of ping time happens outside of your computer.

open a command windows (start cmd)
type tracert to the address you are interested in, and you'll see every single step of the way to that location. You'll then see that ping just 'is' there's no controlling it other than moving to a different isp, but that's not guaranteed to help.

Scrap that, it might give a indicative result, but the results I get are nothing like the ping results I get.
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:28:06 AM

I get crappy ping from servers 200 miles away and have 6GB DSL. Pings are 50 and 60 and nothing in the background running.
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:29:40 AM

i play swat 4 tss , so can anybody guide me how to setup qos for swat 4 tss ?
i have a binatone modem
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 7:30:06 AM

Check your Internet plan. Assuming that ISP's run the same sort of deals in India as they do here check that your upload speed is at the maximum available. Some packages have large download quotas but are limited to 128 k upload for instance. It is often not the download speed that causes lag but more often the upload speed is the issue. Make sure there are no limitations on your upload speed. If you can get your upload speed to 1 Mb per second you may well be good to go.
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:32:53 AM

helpy said:
hi all,
i play online games but i get trouble with ping cuz most servers are american or european but i'ma Indian.
i know many services in background sent data which increase ping , also i use xfire.
thnx

you just for playing games, and I just bought a notebook for my sister , with the windows 7 system, but don't know how to back up the data, can you help?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 7:42:20 AM

kimberlybosgat said:
you just for playing games, and I just bought a notebook for my sister , with the windows 7 system, but don't know how to back up the data, can you help?

if you have a question please go make your own topic. don't threadjack with a completely unrelated topic in the wrong section. you aren't going to get any help that way
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 7:53:20 AM

unksol said:
if you have a question please go make your own topic. don't threadjack with a completely unrelated topic in the wrong section. you aren't going to get any help that way

The reason you won't get help by the way is that no-one who knows about back ups will see this topic as they'll thing its about ping.
Start > type backup > select backup and restore, follow instructions. Do you have an external HDD to back it up to, or a huge SD card?
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:54:05 AM

Ping has nothing to do with your video cards or whether they are crossfired or how fast you processor runs. It's all about the modem and the ISP.
What is your ping?
m
l
March 5, 2012 11:03:34 AM

i get 270 , but many players get about 50 so they r a headache for me.
my upload is 0.85 mbps , download 5 mbps
modem binatone dt845w
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 11:25:03 AM

270 ouch, but to be expected on US servers from india. When did you last reset your modem (i've seen problems resolved like that).
what does pingtest tell you?
There's not much you can do, if these are servers that are geopgraphically distant from you.
m
l
March 5, 2012 11:38:53 AM

You could make your own server to play on, let other people come to you, let them worry about the ping.

Other than switching to a better ISP, there isn't to much you can do about your latency.
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:06:54 PM

u can try http://battleping.com/ easy and nice program for some of the most playable online games out there its a 1 week free though.try it out and let me know the results good luck
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:24:05 PM

move...
just not to america
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 1:17:16 PM

When I played Live for Speed (an online racing simulator game), and someone had ping problems, we often told them to
a) stop downloading p0rn :p  (just for the lolz)
b) stop bittorrent (hogs on upload speed)
c) tell your little brother to do the above :p  (more computer in the house)
d) enforce wireless router security (neighbours connecting and using up bandwidth)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 1:24:59 PM

By the way, what values do you get, when you ping your ISP's gateway computer? (An easy way to get the gateway IP address is running "ipconfig /all" in a command line window.)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 1:29:44 PM

if you can figure out how to do a traceroute then you'll find where the ping is consumed, my bets are that 20% in the US 40% between india and the US and 40% getting to the edge of india. so even changing your ISP wouldn't do a lot.
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:43:31 PM

1) TCP optimizer won't influence UDP games
2) It takes about 90ms for data to get from Europe to the USA (east).

Once you take in congestion between you and the Atlantic link, you're probably looking at 125ms no matter what.

We need to know your current latency to decide if you can even get a better ping.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2012 5:56:03 PM

Kewlx25 said:
1) TCP optimizer won't influence UDP games
2) It takes about 90ms for data to get from Europe to the USA (east).

Once you take in congestion between you and the Atlantic link, you're probably looking at 125ms no matter what.

We need to know your current latency to decide if you can even get a better ping.

And the OP is in india, so most the ping he is seeing is just inherent in being where he is in relation to the server.
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:11:44 AM

szaboaz said:
By the way, what values do you get, when you ping your ISP's gateway computer? (An easy way to get the gateway IP address is running "ipconfig /all" in a command line window.)

1ms everytime
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2012 8:33:25 AM

helpy said:
1ms everytime

That sounds almost too good to be true. You didn't ping your own modem/router by any chance, did you? Anyways, traceroute will tell you more, as suggested above.
m
l
August 29, 2012 9:12:54 PM

when im downloading 1 steam game with nothing else runnning i get tops at 400 kb but averages at 300. is that normal??
m
l
August 29, 2012 9:13:19 PM

im using wireless
m
l
September 12, 2014 5:52:00 PM

helpy said:
hi all,
thnx

I live in the U.S. in Tenn, and did a speed test with ping to India This is the results I got... http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3756264705
My guess is that there's not much you can do to increase your ping, altho I did stop some processes running on my PC, and got a very slightly better result.

m
l
!