How to lower ping ?

G

hi all,
i play online games but i get trouble with ping cuz most servers are american or european but i'ma Indian.
so can somebody plz guide how should i decrease it ?
i know many services in background sent data which increase ping , also i use xfire.
so plz tell me which services should i stop permanently & which while playing.
is there anyway to stop network services at the time of playing automatically ?
maybe something like a batch script or a program.
thnx

Solution

I live in the U.S. in Tenn, and did a speed test with ping to India This is the results I got... http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3756264705
My guess is that there's not much you can do to increase your ping, altho I did stop some processes running on my PC, and got a...
Don't have other programs using your connection, or other people in the house downloading things. you might be able to set up QoS(quality of service) on your router for the port the game uses to give it priority. worrying about background services isnt really going to help and I don't know what your internet connection situation is, but connecting to servers on the other side of the world pretty much always means poor ping. That's just how it goes.

those kinds of changes might make 5% difference. The vast majority of ping time happens outside of your computer.

open a command windows (start cmd)
type tracert to the address you are interested in, and you'll see every single step of the way to that location. You'll then see that ping just 'is' there's no controlling it other than moving to a different isp, but that's not guaranteed to help.

Scrap that, it might give a indicative result, but the results I get are nothing like the ping results I get.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Check your Internet plan. Assuming that ISP's run the same sort of deals in India as they do here check that your upload speed is at the maximum available. Some packages have large download quotas but are limited to 128 k upload for instance. It is often not the download speed that causes lag but more often the upload speed is the issue. Make sure there are no limitations on your upload speed. If you can get your upload speed to 1 Mb per second you may well be good to go.

kimberlybosgat

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

you just for playing games, and I just bought a notebook for my sister , with the windows 7 system, but don't know how to back up the data, can you help?

if you have a question please go make your own topic. don't threadjack with a completely unrelated topic in the wrong section. you aren't going to get any help that way

The reason you won't get help by the way is that no-one who knows about back ups will see this topic as they'll thing its about ping.
Start > type backup > select backup and restore, follow instructions. Do you have an external HDD to back it up to, or a huge SD card?

G

i get 270 , but many players get about 50 so they r a headache for me.
my upload is 0.85 mbps , download 5 mbps
modem binatone dt845w

oktf

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
u can try http://battleping.com/ easy and nice program for some of the most playable online games out there its a 1 week free though.try it out and let me know the results good luck

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
When I played Live for Speed (an online racing simulator game), and someone had ping problems, we often told them to
a) stop downloading p0rn :p (just for the lolz)
b) stop bittorrent (hogs on upload speed)
c) tell your little brother to do the above :p (more computer in the house)
d) enforce wireless router security (neighbours connecting and using up bandwidth)

Kewlx25

Distinguished
1) TCP optimizer won't influence UDP games
2) It takes about 90ms for data to get from Europe to the USA (east).

Once you take in congestion between you and the Atlantic link, you're probably looking at 125ms no matter what.

We need to know your current latency to decide if you can even get a better ping.

And the OP is in india, so most the ping he is seeing is just inherent in being where he is in relation to the server.

G

1ms everytime