Sign in with
Your question

GPU wont let me play games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2012 12:36:21 AM

Yesterday I bought a GPU (Radeon HD 6670) for my build, which i finished yesterday. i have all of the latest drivers, I downloaded directx 11, and i dont know what to do. When i go into games, i get an error message saying "Video card has failed and has recovered" i can only be in the game for a few seconds till i get this. Do i have a defective product, or is there something else i should do?
P.S.: i got Oblivion running but i get like 1 frame ever 15 seconds

More about : gpu wont play games

November 26, 2012 12:39:41 AM

Please specify / list the hardware u using (CPU, monitor resolution)...

and what game u are playing (are it was the same at all game?) ....
m
l
November 26, 2012 12:45:28 AM

rdc85 said:
Please specify / list the hardware u using (CPU, monitor resolution)...

and what game u are playing (are it was the same at all game?) ....

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3Ghz
Motherboard: ASRock 970 extreme3
resolution: every resolution i try it doesnt work
Every game ive tried, Skyrim, RAGE, Oblivion (oblivion was the only one that got into the actual game, they all went to the main menu but crashed while there
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 12:58:37 AM

also i forgot to mention i dont know if its important but i took a hard drive out of an old computer and for some reason it said i did not have the full version of windows vista. Is this relevant?
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:23:51 AM

go to windows update and see if it enlightens you.
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:42:56 AM

toomuchtes said:
also i forgot to mention i dont know if its important but i took a hard drive out of an old computer and for some reason it said i did not have the full version of windows vista. Is this relevant?

You can't just plug out the old HDD from ur previous rig and put it into the new rig to work.

You have to re-format and install fresh copy of window along with all the programs/games/drivers, etc..

Hope it helps.
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:43:58 AM

toomuchtes said:
Didn't work

why didn't it work ?
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:46:18 AM

Thanks!!!

I was going to buy a new hdd but I don't have money right now...,

Hopefully then my gpu will work.
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:53:27 AM

toomuchtes said:
Thanks!!!

I was going to buy a new hdd but I don't have money right now...,

Hopefully then my gpu will work.

You don't need to buy new HDD. U can just use back ur existing one. Back up the files (docs, pics, movies, etc.. ) that you want to keep by burning DVD or transfer it to the portable HDD and then just do fresh window installation by reformatting it.
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:08:52 AM

So how do I make my gpu work?
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:31:42 AM

what wouldn't windows do an update ?

do a disc repair and see if the drive is okay. sometimes when you pull a drive from one machine windows will ask you to "verify" or something because of the hardware change. strange it didn't ask and odd windows wouldn't update or give you some kind of message.
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:41:32 AM

Likely a driver issues, I had this problem with the last drivers myself. Simply use a couple versions back.

Though you should still do a fresh install you can do exactly what you did, but it does come with risks (about your hdd) and that is having driver issues. Though I think your main problem right now is simply video drivers.
m
l
November 26, 2012 3:12:22 AM

ttcboy said:
You can't just plug out the old HDD from ur previous rig and put it into the new rig to work.

You have to re-format and install fresh copy of window along with all the programs/games/drivers, etc..

Hope it helps.

You definitely do NOT need to reformat and install a fresh copy of windows. That would be like saying you need to re-install Windows every time you need to install new software. This is certainly not the first step you should be doing, but the last. I know, I have swapped a HDD from computer to computer many times and never had this problem. First, there are a few things you can do before reformatting and installing Windows again.

Start by uninstalling all drivers and software that pertain to the video card, motherboard, and any other hardware that you didn't carry over to the new computer. Then insert the Windows DVD and run a Windows fix from the DVD. This will take care of most problems you may experience. Reboot, then re-install the motherboard driver first, followed by the video card driver. Follow it up with any other software you may need to run your PC correctly.

That should resolve your issue, but if it doesn't I would recommend upgrading to Win 7 and get rid of Vista. But backup your files first and do a fresh install, not just the "upgrade". I never upgrade an OS, fresh installs are always the best.
m
l
November 26, 2012 4:01:09 AM

What is your power supply unit?
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:35:19 AM

Corsair gs700
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:52:25 AM

Bring the card back to the shop and ask them to test it. It's most probably faulty.
m
l
!