Sign in with
Your question

Help! 3 Monitor with onboard Video Card possible?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2012 12:48:22 AM

Thanks for reading my post. Following is my computer setup, I would like to know if I can use my 3rd monitor on the onboard video card.

CPU: Intel I5 2500K
Motherboard: P8Z77-V LX
Ram: 16 GB
Graphic : ATI HD 4890 - currently running dual screen (1 at 1680x1050, 1 at 1400 x 900)

Trying to see if I can run 3 monitor having the 3rd one running on the onboard video?

Again, thanks!

More about : monitor onboard video card

a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2012 1:09:58 AM

You sure can. It will not get the hardware acceleration from the main card, but it will still work.

Strangely if you drag a windowed game over, it will work much better then onboard alone(but not fast as dedicated alone) :) 
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:29:14 AM

nukemaster said:
You sure can. It will not get the hardware acceleration from the main card, but it will still work.

Strangely if you drag a windowed game over, it will work much better then onboard alone(but not fast as dedicated alone) :) 

nukemaster-thanks, is there any driver that i need to install to make this work? When I plug in my 3rd monitor (vga) to the onboard video, nothing show up. I enable the onboard graphic settting in bios and boot into my win 7. Is there anything missing to make my 3rd monitor work? Again thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2012 3:04:42 AM

Intel has drivers for it and you have to ensure that the bios is set to allow multi monitor or similar.
If it is not set right, the onboard video will be disabled when the dedicated is detected.
You should be able to see them both in the device manager.
m
l
November 26, 2012 6:50:58 AM

THANK YOU NUKEMASTER! I got this to work! also, btw, for some reason, my video now runs better getting around 50 fps on black ops 2. so not sure if this mean crossfire, prob not, but am curious if it actually improve graphic performance?

fyi - after setting up the 3 montior to work, i used the mis after burner to overlcok my ati hd 4890 with 930 core clock and 1000 memeory clock. when i loaded black ops, it was display on my main screen which is from the 4890 dvi.

anyway, this rocks! thanks!
m
l
a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2012 3:00:54 PM

If you use lets say a video player or even web browser with video in the background, many times the video card will get stuck at a lower speed then when gaming. It is kind of a paint.

For example, my 5870 will get stuck at 400mhz if I have a youtube video up while gaming.

If you are stuck with that, the onboard video may be able to take care of that for you by dealing with the web browsers/video players acceleration.

I know with Virtu in IGP mode, the onboard deals with all video and web browsing while the dedicated deals with games, but that is not quite what you are doing.
m
l
!