Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System won't boot. I have already replaced ram and mobo.

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 3:21:50 AM

UPDATE :My computer is now not starting up at all.
There is a brief flash from the led fan, then nothing. I am guessing there is a short somewhere. So my question now is, could a short have been causing the problems im describing?

I made a build a few months ago. It was working fine until a random night when it stopped working in the middle of playing a file.

My computer is now not booting. I have replaced the motherboard through warranty and bought new ram and the computer still will not boot.

I have taken a video of the behavior of the computer. The video shows the constant restarting of the computer. It is also giving me an error saying that there is no memory present. As I previously mentioned, I bought new ram and the problem persists. (I state in the video that it may be the mobo but I took the vid before I replaced it. The system behaves the same way after I have replaced the mobo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGzCYvN_NQ

By process of elimination, the only 2 remaining culprits could be the CPU or the psu, correct? Does anyone have any insight into what the problem may be?

I'm also including the PCPARTS lister for my build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 320 Series 80GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.74 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($444.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer ($25.02 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1162.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-10 00:14 EST-0500)
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 4:14:16 AM

Hi, If the CPU fan is spinning when starting the board, then it might be a CPU issue.
m
l
January 10, 2013 6:50:44 PM

Does anyone else have any ideas? Is it the processor for sure?
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 7:09:23 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, If the CPU fan is spinning when starting the board, then it might be a CPU issue.

I have that PSU it dose that every start up. the fan only goes on if you get over 50% of power usage. Can you get to the BIOS?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 8:10:25 PM

It's the PSU fan that you're referring to.
The CPU (processor) fan should spin when starting the board. And if it does spin, then most probably it's not a power supply issue, since the processor gets power, but a CPU one.
Of course, it's just a guess.
January 10, 2013 10:30:58 PM

doughnuts said:
I have that PSU it dose that every start up. the fan only goes on if you get over 50% of power usage. Can you get to the BIOS?

No, my screen shows nothing
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:03:21 PM

Hi Everyone, My computer is now not starting up at all.
There is a brief flash from the led fan, then nothing. I am guessing there is a short somewhere. So my question now is, could a short have been causing the problems im describing above?
m
l
February 2, 2013 12:06:23 AM

Best answer selected by freehurricane.
m
l
!