Silly eBay prices

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
October 7, 2004 12:04:21 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=63...

Over 100 GBP for a PAL version of the original Star Wars box set - is
that the typical going rate?

That's more than my 2nd hand Pioneer CLD-D925 cost me!

More about : silly ebay prices

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 1:07:04 AM

Hi Hi

Check this one out,a serious laugh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...

Smiffy

"Miles" <fake@nospam.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=63...
>
> Over 100 GBP for a PAL version of the original Star Wars box set - is
> that the typical going rate?
>
> That's more than my 2nd hand Pioneer CLD-D925 cost me!
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:05:39 AM

I've noticed the Definitive Collection selling for between $150 and $300 USd
and the Special Edition box selling for $50 to $175 USD. Apparently people are
really getting into the idea of having multiple release versions of the films.
Steve Grauman
Related resources
October 7, 2004 2:05:40 AM

oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote in message news:<20041006180539.22385.00000267@mb-m06.aol.com>...
> I've noticed the Definitive Collection selling for between $150 and $300 USd
> and the Special Edition box selling for $50 to $175 USD. Apparently people are
> really getting into the idea of having multiple release versions of the films.
> Steve Grauman

I think people holding out the for DVD's didn't care for the changes
and there is a big push right now for the original versions, hence the
Definitive collection selling so high. I haven't seen any of the
Special Edition sets really selling.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:06:19 AM

"Miles" <fake@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Over 100 GBP for a PAL version of the original Star Wars box set - is
> that the typical going rate?

On eBay, I call those the typical gouging rate...

> That's more than my 2nd hand Pioneer CLD-D925 cost me!
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:05:57 PM

oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote in message news:<20041006180539.22385.00000267@mb-m06.aol.com>...
> I've noticed the Definitive Collection selling for between $150 and $300 USd
> and the Special Edition box selling for $50 to $175 USD. Apparently people are
> really getting into the idea of having multiple release versions of the films.
> Steve Grauman

This set went for $400:

Earlier in the summer some of the definitive sets were going for as
low as $50-$80. They always seem to go up in price when something Star
Wars is released. I don't know why the Special Edition sets are still
selling, as the new DVDs are a similar version, but improved somewhat.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 6:43:53 AM

>I don't know why the Special Edition sets are still
>selling, as the new DVDs are a similar version, but improved somewhat.

Collector's value I guess. Some people want to have all 3 versions of the
films, I find it tempting myself. But I know that I'd probably never watch the
SE Laserdiscs even if I had them. Having the original cuts on LD and the 2004
Special Editions on DVD is enough for me at the moment.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 8:06:37 PM

Wow, even the Faces set has cracked the $100 mark:

I'm glad I went ahead and got my set earlier this year. I knew that
the Star Wars mania of the DVD release would lead to an increase in
demand of the original version.
October 11, 2004 10:28:56 PM

"John Smith" <zilch@zilch.com> wrote in message
> Hi Hi
>
> Check this one out,a serious laugh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...
&rd=1

LOL

I have that disc. It is time compressed, pan and scan, and the transfer is
laughably bad.

Good price though :)

Ck
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 11:57:47 PM

must because of the

PLASTIC RAPPER
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:44:50 AM

"CK" <ckusknerSPAM-MUST-DIE@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
>> Check this one out,a serious laugh
>>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...
> &rd=1
>
> I have that disc. It is time compressed, pan and scan, and the
> transfer is
> laughably bad.

"This is the only Starwars laserdisc I know of".

Says it all.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 3:04:33 AM

>I have that disc. It is time compressed, pan and scan, and the transfer is
>laughably bad.

Was this like an edited-for-TV version?
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 3:04:34 AM

Steve wrote " was this like edited for tv or something.?"
No, I think on some of the early pan and scan CLV releases, if a movie
ran just a minute or two longer than the 2 hours that 1 CLV disc can
accomodate, the movie would be time-compressed in order to avoid having
to make a second disc.
Kevin.
!