Sign in with
Your question

Random beeping after installing new hard drive

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 5:37:29 AM

I recently added a 3rd hard drive to my system. I had a ssd which held all windows files and a 250g Western Digital drive. I added a Western Digital WD10EZEX recently and since then my pc has had a random high pitch beep. I've tried everything to eliminate it and have had no luck. I've
- replaced sata cables,
- taken out third hard drive and returned to original two
- checked all power supply cords
- checked all fans
- checked every cord I could find
- disabled the system speakers from the device manager
- ran western digital's software to check for errors in the new drive, it came up fine.

And yet I still get the beeping. I will say the beeping is less than it was with all 3 drives in but it's still there. My system appears to be running just fine, no weird hiccups or anything outside of the blasted beep. It only beeps once, it's not a series of beeps. Just once randomly.
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 8:39:15 AM

Take off the mobo speaker, should be connected down by the case I/O.
January 10, 2013 9:57:44 AM

rbfguy229 said:
I recently added a 3rd hard drive to my system. I had a ssd which held all windows files and a 250g Western Digital drive. I added a Western Digital WD10EZEX recently and since then my pc has had a random high pitch beep. I've tried everything to eliminate it and have had no luck. I've
- replaced sata cables,
- taken out third hard drive and returned to original two
- checked all power supply cords
- checked all fans
- checked every cord I could find
- disabled the system speakers from the device manager
- ran western digital's software to check for errors in the new drive, it came up fine.

And yet I still get the beeping. I will say the beeping is less than it was with all 3 drives in but it's still there. My system appears to be running just fine, no weird hiccups or anything outside of the blasted beep. It only beeps once, it's not a series of beeps. Just once randomly.

I had random beeping on my system, that was followed by random bsod's later on after a few days of beeping. This occurred after adding a 3TB raid 1 set. After days of fighting with my system the 3TB raid 1 array was broken when 1 of the drives would not work anymore. It was my highpoint raid controller card beeping all the time trying to warn that the drive was failing it was losing clusters. I had another pair of 3TB drives not in raid that has 1 of the drives develop a lost cluster I used the h/d makers software to test the drive. Sure it found and corrected ( simply marked cluster as Bad ) the drive and according to the software is fine. Yeah right if its failing clusters already with no use not much future for it I say.
May not be related to your problem just though it might be of some help.
January 11, 2013 4:25:57 AM

Thanks for the advice. Seeing as e beeping is the only negative thing right now i'm going to unplug the sprakers from the motherboard and hope for the best. I'll keep testing with the western digital utility just to be safe.
!