Sign in with
Your question

I feel overwhelmed with choices and would really appreciate help

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 6:30:50 AM

Hello. I was hoping I could get some serious help on a new build.

I want to save money where I can for now and upgrade where I can later.

I don't want to buy any parts that I'll be replacing in a couple of years though.

I will be gaming but nothing extreme. No FPS's. Torchlight 2 and maybe D3 will be the most modern games I plan to play atm.

Speed is important to me. I've read that hard drives have different speeds (whatever that affects). Also I don't need much storage. I guess that would mean speed takes precedence over storage.

Motherboard choice and brand is what I need the most help on.
I was hoping I could wait on getting a video card for now and get a really nice motherboard with integrated video until I feel like spending more on a really nice vid card or two. I don't have to play games right when I get it built.

Also I could wait on RAM and just get one 4 or 8 gig and add more later.
I would be willing to spend the most on my motherboard and add RAM/Vid card/s later on.

Things I don't need are
Monitor
Speakers
Keyboard and mouse.

I plan on using a 42" TV at 1080p for my monitor. Will I need HDMI on my motherboard if I don't get a vid card right away? Is HDMI the best connection?

Budget is a tricky question. I would be willing to spend on certain parts if it's worth it. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about waiting on getting a vid card. I don't want to buy too cheap and feel I wasted money on something because I want a better part to replace it with a year later.

I also don't want to spend too much if I'm not gaining much. Speed and upgradability are my two most important wants I suppose. Save money now. Add (not replace) later. Maybe I could save money on my processor and upgrade that later? Maybe I could only spend $500-$600 now for the basic most important stuff then spend more than double that gradually adding more RAM and video card/cards. I plan on keeping this build for years but I don't plan on blowing my wad all at once.

I've been reading these forums for the last few days but there is so much info and so many diff choices I feel I've barely moved forward.

I hope one of you gurus get the gist of what I'm trying to type here and can really help me out. These are all important decisions for me that I don't know much about.

January 10, 2013 6:56:32 AM

So what's the budget then? :D 

-edit-
okay I skipped the part where you finally said your budget. sorry for that. :D  So are you into oc? because with that budget, It maybe a non-oc build.
January 10, 2013 7:39:40 AM

I can up the budget if it's worth it for OC.

I plan on adding RAM, vid card/s later but not all at once. That is why I need a good base to start with that will accommodate what I might need or want in the future.

If I can get a decent performance boost from oc'ing then I will buy based on that. If that's what you recommend.

If I double my budget would I get twice the gain? That's my problem.

I mainly need help on a mobo I guess.

I need to buy

Case-Whatever, I'll find one

PSU-Same as case. What would you recommend for 2 nice video cards? 650W enough or no.

HD-Speed on HD helps? I don't need much space. 500GB will be more that enough. I have external HD's.

MoBo-I'm wondering if integrated video will be okay for a while until I feel like spending a lot on a really nice vid card and eventually two. SLI it's called? I also want plenty of room for RAM. I also want it to support future CPUs when I want to upgrade.

Do I need a sound card or will a nice motherboard come with?
I just don't want to be screwed when I want something a year or two from now.

Related resources
January 10, 2013 7:52:08 AM

Damn I post some major walls O text.

I guess I could just compare the top 5 motherboards and base my build off those.
January 10, 2013 4:05:30 PM

MattSoko said:
I can up the budget if it's worth it for OC.

I plan on adding RAM, vid card/s later but not all at once. That is why I need a good base to start with that will accommodate what I might need or want in the future.

If I can get a decent performance boost from oc'ing then I will buy based on that. If that's what you recommend.

If I double my budget would I get twice the gain? That's my problem.

I mainly need help on a mobo I guess.

I need to buy

Case-Whatever, I'll find one

PSU-Same as case. What would you recommend for 2 nice video cards? 650W enough or no.

HD-Speed on HD helps? I don't need much space. 500GB will be more that enough. I have external HD's.

MoBo-I'm wondering if integrated video will be okay for a while until I feel like spending a lot on a really nice vid card and eventually two. SLI it's called? I also want plenty of room for RAM. I also want it to support future CPUs when I want to upgrade.

Do I need a sound card or will a nice motherboard come with?
I just don't want to be screwed when I want something a year or two from now.

Okay, Ill just post an OC build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wRPj

You can add an ssd if you want, and change the hdd for a caviar blue. but if not then caviar black would be your best bet.
1 gpu is included, you can add later on.

Personally, I would get a OC build if your really into OC because it would really boost performance when you OC it crazy enough. but if not, I would prefer saving alot of money by going to a non-OC build. Nevertheless you would max out games even if you do not OC. Because for me, you would only need to OC once your PC gets old enough that future games is eating it, and that would be like years, maybe 2,3? or more? hopefully.

So here is a non-oc build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wRTZ

Price of that non-oc build is almost the same even though cooler is removed and cpu and mobo is changed because I upgraded the gpu. In that way you wouldn't need to go dual gpu. which will be your savings from a non-oc build.

You wouldn't need a sound card. You can get by without it.

!