Sign in with
Your question

I am very lost :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2012 7:47:30 AM

Hello everyone. I got a very weird problem and I don't understand what is wrong. I can not play any games with crossfire enabled in the CCC if I do I get hard locks the picture just freezes the mouse cursor wont move and I have to reset the computer or hold the power button I can not alt, f4 or bring up the task manager it is hard locked. I have tested every single part in my PC I also paid the technicians to double check everything and all my parts are working perfectly fine. I have re-installed windows, tried a different hdmi cable from my monitor to the GPU card, I have updated drivers, bios, changed the bridge on my cards I just don't understand cause when crossfire is disabled in the CCC everything works perfectly my computer has 0 problems at all.

My computer specs are I have NEVER overclocked or touched anything.

i5-2500k @3.30GHZ stock.

2x XFX 6950 2 gig cards crossfire.

Asus P8Z68-VPRO motherboard.

2 ripjaws gskill ram 8 gig ddr3.

Corsair 850 wat power supply HX professional series.

1 OCZ vertex 4 ssd 260 gigs.

2 western digital hard drives 1 tb each.

I am seriously lost if there is no part in my PC that is faulty and has been tested by myself and the computer technicians. The technicians can't pick up anything wrong with my PC I told them my problem they even tried with crossfire enabled and were playing games properly and fine I just don't understand that when I got my computer back from them I was getting problems again.

Thank you so much for reading and your time and I hope to get some answers from more experienced people.

Take care.

More about : lost

a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 7:53:02 AM

Heat build up when both GPU's are spewing out full throttle. More case fans.... That is my best guess.
m
l
November 26, 2012 7:55:15 AM

Are you by chance trying to run the games in windowed mode, or full screen windowed mode? Crossfire does not work in either of those settings and could possibly cause system crashes.

Do you have the latest CAPS installed? If you have installed CAPS, did you delete the old CAPS? To check, go into add/remove programs and check to see if you only have one program called application profiles....if you have more than one, you will need to delete the older versions of the program.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 7:57:18 AM

Hello dude496 I know it needs to be full screen but when crossfire is enabled in the CCC as soon as I open up a game I get a hard lock. I have tried opening the games in window mode/windowed full screen and they work fine for a while but I still get hard locks but it is only when I try full screen I get the hard locks.
m
l
November 26, 2012 7:59:15 AM

But why is it when they tested my computer and it was working fine at the technicians? Then as soon as I got my PC back it started hard locking again I am very confused.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:02:55 AM

With it crashing as soon as you open a game, I don't think it is a heat related issue. Check to see if you have the CAPS installed properly...that would be my first guess to your problem.

As for the techs....no clue, did you actually see them test the computer? They might have just turned the computer on to make sure it boots...no telling as to what level of troubleshooting they actually did.

How many games have you tested? Do any games work?
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:15:50 AM

Most games don't work but assassins creed 3 works perfectly but I get better performance with CCC disabled in that game.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:16:24 AM

someone told me have you checked that the lucid chip on the mobo is turned off.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-gpu.html

There is some reading on the lucid chip if you didn't know about it.

I don't know anything about this does anyone know what this means?

Thank you.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:17:23 AM

They hard lock straight away any game that runs full screen which is most unless you choose to go to the settings and change it to window mode this is with CCC enabled I can't run any games full screen.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 8:17:55 AM

Also if they have a cold workbench/space at the techs, then you bring it home and plop it next to your radiator/AC results may vary....

It doesn't sound like heat if it happens immediately. Probably is software. From your info I was just taking a guess.

Your 6950's will be drawing over 510W when they try to load up. Your PSU spec sheet says 70AMPS, but on a single 12V line.... I am unsure if that is wise when running CF or SLi. Having 2 separate 12V lines I thought was the norm. So I suspect the PSU is being overstretched somehow....

The power output should in theory be enough, but keep in mind that total power output cannot exceed 850W, so though it says PSU can output 840W on the 12V rail, that is not true when supplying more than 10W on the other 5V and 3.3V rails, which will be happening....

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 8:20:01 AM

I do believe it's a driver problem.

I say try to reinstall drivers, or get older ones.
I got 2 gaming rigs, my old rig features a single 6770, and at one point it made my whole pc shut down multiple times, because of the bad drivers. So enter safe mode, and choose the right drivers and remove the bad ones, it should solve the problem. :) 
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:20:18 AM

Assassins creed 3 is having crossfire and sli issues, so don't worry about that one for now...it will hopefully get patched soon.

Lucid logix is only enabled through windows...if you do have the software installed, you will need to uninstall it...that could definitely cause your issues if you have the software installed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 8:29:14 AM

Bring home the technicians... And, then ask them to game.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:29:48 AM

Dude496 said:
Assassins creed 3 is having crossfire and sli issues, so don't worry about that one for now...it will hopefully get patched soon.

Lucid logix is only enabled through windows...if you do have the software installed, you will need to uninstall it...that could definitely cause your issues if you have the software installed.

No I do not have lucid logix I was just wondering what it was.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:30:38 AM

vinaykumar5320 said:
Bring home the technicians... And, then ask them to game.

This could be the best answer but I was there when they tested it...
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:30:57 AM

Disabling P8Z68-V PRO onboard graphics should I disable that? Will that be causing the problem?
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:34:21 AM

Most likely it won't cause an issue...your motherboard should be smart enough to turn the onboard graphics off since they are not in use...but it definitely would not hurt to disable the onboard graphics.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:36:40 AM

Have you checked on the CAPS yet? Before I can give any other ideas, I need to start with the basics. Also, I agree with Lostgamer's comment regarding re-installing the drivers.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:38:18 AM

I just reinstalled windows and did the drivers and explain more about the CAPS? thank you I will check that now and let you know thanks so much for your help.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:42:54 AM

CAPS is catalyst application profiles...it is used to create crossfire profiles for different games. If you have more than one version of CAPS installed, the computer could very easily lock up when loading any program that uses crossfire.

Go into your control panel, under programs, you will see an option for uninstall programs...in that window you will see a list of all programs your computer has installed. Look for a program called Application Profiles... you should only have one version of this program in that list, if you have more than one you will need to uninstall the oldest version. If you don't have any installed, you will need to install it.

Here is a link to downloand CAPS. ...

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/crossfirex...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 8:44:04 AM

Also, are you plugged directly into the wall or do you use an extension cable?

I ask because I have seen somebody with a similar problem and it was the quality of the connection in the extension cable was poor.

Plug the base unit DIRECTLY into the wall, and use an extension for anything else seperately...

It could explain why the techs had no problems....
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:04:39 AM

Trying to plug directly into the wall now since my computer was plugged into a surge protector.

going to give it another try.

Thank you.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:09:27 AM

I also installed that application profile as well giving it another go.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:15:06 AM

Still getting hardlocks this is for world of warcraft when I try enable full screen mode it hard locks straight away it happens to most my games but for Assassins Creed III I get no hardlocks this is really weird.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:17:24 AM

Please don't take this as disrespectful or anything like that...when troubleshooting a problem, please try to do only one thing at a time. Trust me, this could save all sorts of headaches. By doing multiple changes at once, you have a higher possibility of overlooking something, or creating a new problem that wasn't there before.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:18:52 AM

When you installed the games, did you click the option to install directx?
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:19:24 AM

Dude496 said:
Please don't take this as disrespectful or anything like that...when troubleshooting a problem, please try to do only one thing at a time. Trust me, this could save all sorts of headaches. By doing multiple changes at once, you have a higher possibility of overlooking something, or creating a new problem that wasn't there before.

No I am not taking it as disrespectful you are being nice and trying to help I just really want to solve this problem and people like you are the ones who are going to help me since I know nothing about computers so I thank you so much for your time.

m
l
November 26, 2012 9:21:14 AM

Dude496 said:
When you installed the games, did you click the option to install directx?

Hmmm I do not know about this what I don't understand is crossfire has been working perfectly for almost a year now I just started getting this problem a couple of months back I do not know that the direct x could cause the problems but when direct x tries to install with the game it sais you already have the latest version so it skips it usually.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:44:08 AM

The reason I ask about directx is that you did a reformat on your computer...so there are certain files that need to get re-installed to get crossfire running properly.

Getting onto forums and asking questions is the best way to learn...before long, you might be out there helping others troubleshoot problems.

I do have to ask a basic question...I find that most times problems are silly little things instead of complex issues. Do you have all of the power connectors plugged into both graphics cards? Also do you have the crossfire bridge installed?...if you aren't certain about what a crossfire bridge is, it's a flat cable that connects the two cards together...if you open your case, you should see a cable that joins the two graphics cards together.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:50:24 AM

Dude496 said:
The reason I ask about directx is that you did a reformat on your computer...so there are certain files that need to get re-installed to get crossfire running properly.

Getting onto forums and asking questions is the best way to learn...before long, you might be out there helping others troubleshoot problems.

I do have to ask a basic question...I find that most times problems are silly little things instead of complex issues. Do you have all of the power connectors plugged into both graphics cards? Also do you have the crossfire bridge installed?...if you aren't certain about what a crossfire bridge is, it's a flat cable that connects the two cards together...if you open your case, you should see a cable that joins the two graphics cards together.

Hey mate. Yes I have made sure they are all plugged in firmly I had a look at another forums post and what he did was increase the voltages of his GPU and it was working perfectly but the CCC wont let me open my overdrive settings (the place you go to overclock) cause increasing the voltages may fix the problem.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:58:56 AM

Increasing the voltage and overclocking aren't going to help you right now. Right now, you need to get the crossfire running in a basic setup, then you can start looking into the overclocking.

So back to software...use these links to install diretx end user, and .net framework

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...

I know that if you do not have these properly installed, CCC will not work properly. Also, as an FYI, after installing these programs you might need to reinstall the amd drivers...but lets cross that bridge when we get there.

m
l
November 26, 2012 10:00:02 AM

Thank you for those links I am installing both of them now.
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:02:41 AM

okay they are both installed :) 
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:07:58 AM

Let me know if they help
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:09:45 AM

Nop still get hardlocks :( 
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:14:50 AM

Should I try reinstalling drivers? I am using 12.10 now
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 10:32:15 AM

zazally said:
Should I try reinstalling drivers? I am using 12.10 now

Quick question: Is assasins creed installed on the ssd or one of your other hard drives?

Also, try running a single card at a time and then try to run a game.

m
l
November 26, 2012 10:37:23 AM

i agree with maxalge about running one card at a time to see if this could be an issue. The easiest, and most accurate way to test this would be by removing the second card from the motherboard and run a game. Once you have confirmed that works, put the second card back into it's slot (do not change cards between slots) and remove the first card, then put the display cables on the second card. This way you can test both cards in their operating slots to make sure that they both work.

Also, are you by chance plugging your display cables into the second card? The display cables need to be plugged into the first card.
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:46:05 AM

maxalge said:
Quick question: Is assasins creed installed on the ssd or one of your other hard drives?

Also, try running a single card at a time and then try to run a game.

Assassins Creed 3 is installed on the SSD and I have tried both cards already and tested them with games they both work perfectly fine also ran fumark for like 10 hours on each card with no problems.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 10:49:00 AM

Lets start with some more info on the cards too...

Are they IDENTICAL, same brand same model?

Have you checked both cards clocks on GPU-Z?

Were both bought new? (someone maybe flashed a 6970 bios to one?)
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:00:07 AM

Well the technicians wouldn't let me buy a second card if it wouldn't run crossfire would it? I am positive that they are both 6950 2 gig cards and they are both XFX. I just fully uninstalled my drivers and re-installing them again on my administrator account which was hidden I had to unlock it through the CMD.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:00:56 AM

Sorry if I sounded like a smart arse I didn't mean to at all but you know what I am trying to say.

Thank you everyone for your time and help I really appreciate this we will get to the bottom of this.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:10:20 AM

Maxalge brought up a good question regarding your SSD. Install the game onto your SSD and then re-test. You might have an issue with your other hard drives.

Also, you could try running GPU-Z to make sure that both cards are running and at the correct clock speeds.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:12:04 AM

I did install assassins creed 3 on my SSD I was wondering should I take print screens of my GPU-Z and send them to you?

doing it now.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:14:47 AM

It wouldn't hurt to upload the gpu-z screens here...the main things to look at on there would be the clock speeds, memory speeds and data transfer rates...if all of those are identical, you shouldn't have any issues from that aspect.

Install a different game on your SSD and see if it hardlocks. Assassins Creed 3 does not have the proper crossfire support right now, so it really isn't a valid test for now.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:21:23 AM

Just got a hardlock trying to play league of legends.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:23:41 AM

I've never played that game. I know it is free to play, but is there any download that goes along with it? Or is it browser based?

So far from your examples, MMO's are crashing but single player games are working...is that correct?
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:25:00 AM

No I tried age of empires 3 that hard locks as soon as I open it but with crossfire disabled all games work fine this is really weird.
m
l
!