Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Assistance with new build

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 11:27:24 AM

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone here could please help me out with some advice for an upgrade / new build.

The system will be mostly used for gaming (i.e. after high fps).

I have the following system from which I am planning on recycling some parts to eventually make two machines:

- Cooler Master Centurion 590 case
- Intel i5 2310 cpu
- P8P67 LE motherboard
- Sapphire HD6970 Vapor-x graphics card
- 8 GB (4x2 GB) Kingston DDR3 Ram at 667 MHz
- 120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
- Seagate 500 GB hard drive

Plans for my new machine are as follows:

- Silverstone Fortress FT-02B case
- Intel i7 2600K cpu w CM Hyper 212+ cooler
- Maximus IV Extreme MB
- 2x AMD 6970 GPU in CF
- Corsair HX850 W PSU
- 120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
- HDD??
- RAM??

Sorry for the nooby questions buuuut....

I was planning on upgrading to newer faster ram, and would like some advice before purchasing. Some of the posts i've read indicate that I should get ram rated at 1.5V and there is no point getting anything faster than 1600 MHZ with SB. Could someone please confirm this as the M4E states that it can support up to 2133 MHz?? If so, would the improvements, if any be noticeable as price starts to go up considerably??

I have been looking at the following G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (2x4GB) DDR3 kit for around 55 AUD$:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

For which there seem to be alot of positive reviews. However I am a bit concerned about the clearance over the heat spreader as I am considering reusing an old Cooler Master Hyper 212+ cpu cooler for which there may not be enough clearance. Does anyone know if this will fit with the cooler?? Does anyone have any alternative recommendations?

I am also considering the Silverstone FT-02B Case as I don't have the budget to invest in water cooling and am quite impressed with the design. However, I am open to any alternative case suggestions.

Will also be buying a new hard drive, any recommendations?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : assistance build

January 10, 2013 12:40:33 PM

just keep the old rig by itself and build a entirely new rig.

-get a i5 3570k. i7s arent faster than i5s in games and ivy bridge is faster.
-no point of a maximus board if you cant use half the features. id get something like a gigabyte z77x-ud3h or a asus z77-v pro if you can use some more features
-no point of fast ram. theres no performance benefit
-just get a new card like a 7970. the 6970s arent worth it to CF
-get a newer SSD such as the samsung 830 or a sandforce drive with toggle mode nand
-id suggest getting a fractal define R4 over the silverstone. is cheaper from what i know and has more cabling, silence, and the same cooling

but honestly id rather just stick with what you have right now. it still plays games really well
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:22:17 PM

honestly an i7 is massive overkill for gaming because most games don't take advantage of Hyper threading yet so just get the i5-3570k

Also if you are looking to crossfire i would say two Radeon 7850's but for single card go 7970

In terms of a PSU im running a Seasonic 620 and i love it and it has enough wattage to run two 7850's and its around $80 US

Last but not least the case personally i love the CM HAF 912 great cooling and features for a great price
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 10, 2013 2:09:13 PM

What's with all the 6970 hate? He already has one, they scale very well in crossfire with no reported microstutter, its cheaper, and performs better than a 6990. Which is already even with a 7970 GHz. Its certainly not a BAD option....
January 10, 2013 2:11:18 PM

he wants 2 rigs. id keep it in the older one and just get a new GPU.

yes 2 6970s will perform better than a 7970 but then it takes up 2x the power
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:14:55 PM

Whoops missed the 2 machines. Still if he just wants the other one to be a general non gaming one. Guess it depends
m
l
!