LFraterJA

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Yeah i agree get a 7870.The MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK is the MSI Lightning's smaller brother. It uses the company's signature Twin Frozr II dual-fan cooler. MSI has also increased the clock speeds of the HD 7870 HAWK to 1100 MHz GPU and 1200 MHz memory.You can overclock it yourself even further.I highly recommend it.

Currently I'm using a reference design GTX 660. It's way better than the inn03d iChill as I had before. It has even higher clocks at boost 1110,5 vs. 1084,5, and it is way cooler 72*C at max vs 85*C.

You might consider getting Radeon 7870 because it's 5-7% ahead in performance at stock speeds, nothing noticeable. Though it uses a bit more power and is a little noisier, if you compare reference cards, but it's also a little cooler.

Cooling on the two different chips has different thermal limits, so you can't really compare the heat, because some cards are meant to be hot, and doesn't get much affected by it, while others do.

In the end, what brand you favors the most will be the optional choice. If you like the drivers and the cool technologies from Nvidia that would be your choice. If you like raw power and good overclocking capabilities, go for Radeon 7870.